What can artifacts tell us about the people who lived here before us? Thingamajigs & Whatchamacallits introduces students to the field of archaeology and provides an opportunity to explore the past cultures of the Presidio (Ohlone, Spanish, and American Military) by comparing and contrasting artifacts. In this program, students will:
- Learn about the process of archaeology through an interactive presentation
- Excavate simulated dig boxes filled with replica artifacts
- Examine artifacts to learn about the daily lives of past cultures
- Visit a working archaeology lab and examine real Spanish and Ohlone artifacts uncovered at the Presidio
- Explore the past in the Heritage Gallery through interactive exhibits and a workbook.
Because our programs are provided at no cost, we prioritize applications from high needs schools using data from