Updated June 2017
The Margaret E. Haas Fund, in partnership with the Presidio Trust, is working to rehabilitate the historic Presidio Theatre, located at 99 Moraga Avenue on the Main Post. Vacant since 1995, it will be repurposed as a high quality and affordable multipurpose space for live theatre, film, dance, music, lectures, educational programs, and special events. The venue will also be available for rental by organizations and businesses in the Presidio and beyond for meetings and celebrations. The theatre will offer approximately 650 seats.
Funding for the rehabilitation and re-opening of the theatre is being provided by the Margaret E. Haas Fund, a Bay Area nonprofit. Ongoing operations will be managed by Presidio Theatre, a new nonprofit entity that will fund operations through a combination of facility rental fees, ticket sales, and fundraising.
The construction timeline for the theater is fall 2017 through summer 2019.
For more information, please contact Grier McCurdy Mathews, Margaret E. Haas Fund, at email@example.com.
Read the article about the Presidio Theatre revitalization in the San Francisco Chronicle >>
About Presidio Theatre
In 1938, the United States Army, in partnership with the U.S. Army Motion Picture Service, conceived the Presidio Theatre (Building 99 on the Main Post). Built by the Works Progress Administration, it opened on July 30, 1939. The single-screen theatre featured a small stage and an auditorium seating nearly 900 people. The venue hosted such noteworthy guests as Bob Hope during World War II as well as several special events in subsequent years. It remained in use as a theatre and assembly space until the Army left the Presidio in 1994.
Presidio Theatre is a contributing structure to the Presidio's National Historic Landmark District status and is an intact example of Spanish Colonial Revival-style architecture in the Presidio.