The Presidio Trust is seeking a Wildlife Ecologist who will support the Natural Resources Department to be a model of environmental stewardship. This is an exciting opportunity to work on wide ranging projects from coyote management to wildlife reintroductions. Once an Army Base, the Presidio of San Francisco is now a new kind of national park. The 1,500-acre Presidio is richly layered in history, is a natural oasis for wildlife, plants, and people, and offers iconic views known around the world. In its third decade as a park, public awareness and enjoyment of this exceptional place continues to grow.
This is a full-time position with benefits and a starting pay range of $102,888 to $117,294. The starting base salary is dependent on the experience and qualifications of the candidate. Applications received by March 17, 2023, will receive first consideration.
- Manage wildlife in the park, in accordance with park protocols, which includes responding to coyote interactions and conducting bird nest surveys. Collaborate with other departments, residents, and agencies.
- Manage wildlife reintroductions, which involves obtaining permits, coordinating with different agencies, and conducting field work.
- Implement the Presidio's Mountain Lake Adaptive Management Plan.
- Oversee the Inventory and Monitoring Program, which includes documenting and monitoring wildlife within the park, creating, and using databases, implementing the Water Quality Monitoring Plan, and developing citizen science programs.
- Track and monitor wetlands mitigation projects and produce monitoring reports, as required by permits and associated monitoring plans. This includes facilitating avian, aquatic, vegetation, and morphologic monitoring.
- Coordinate, facilitate, and/or collaborate with scientific researchers, public and other organizations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in ecology, conservation biology, or a relevant field.
- Three (3) years’ experience in ecological restoration and wildlife ecology including experience working in lake ecology and reintroductions.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Demonstrated understanding of water quality importance to aquatic ecosystems.
- Knowledge of local history, ecosystems, and organismal identification (especially avian, amphibian and aquatic).
- Experience coordinating with and speaking to the press and working collaboratively with others. Independently motivated.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills in writing, speaking before groups.
- A passion for the mission and values of the Presidio Trust.
About the Natural Resources Department
Our Natural Resources program is a thought-leader within the ecological community and diligently manages native plant conservation and wildlife, monitors water quality and erosion, and conducts natural resources research, continually challenging conventional thinking and creating innovative solutions to improve the Park’s ecological health. We work closely with and share ideas with other innovative leaders in ecology, engage our local communities in community science, ecosystem restoration, and the management of biodiversity within the park.
Background & Driver’s License Investigation and Review
The Presidio Trust has identified this position as subject to an employment background investigation which shall consist of a review of applicable county, state and Federal criminal and civil records, state bankruptcy indexes, driver’s license. An individual’s granting of a background investigation and resulting report is voluntary. However, employment in this sensitive position is contingent upon the successful completion of an employment background investigation. The Presidio Trust may refuse to hire an individual, may rescind an offer of employment to an individual, or may review and terminate the employment of a current employee not successfully completing the background investigation.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
All Presidio Trust employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an approved medical or religious exemption. Employment is contingent upon submitting a COVID-19 Certification of Vaccination or qualifying for an exemption when hired.
The Presidio Trust is an equal opportunity employer, offering a competitive benefits package. To apply, download the employment application from our website at www.presidio.gov/presidio-trust/jobs and submit your application to our email address listed on our website.