The Presidio Trust is seeking an experienced Water Treatment Plant Operator to join our Building Stewardship team. Once an Army base, the Presidio of San Francisco is now a new kind of national park. The park includes 477 individually significant historic buildings, approximately 6 million square feet of office space, and more than 180 historic objects. To date, 325 historic buildings have been fully or partially rehabilitated, occupied, and revived with new life and new uses for our public visitors, tenants, and employees. The Water Treatment Plant Department maintains and ensures that the Trust's water supply is safe for consumption at the Presidio Trust.
Our ideal candidate is organized, customer service oriented and professional, coordinating and interacting graciously with the Presidio and partnering Trust organizations, including colleagues, tenants and visitors. You are familiar with the tools of the trade, punctual, a problem solver, and able to complete the work expeditiously with a high level of quality and customer service.
This is a full‐time position with benefits and a
minimum salary of $44.28 - $48.73 per hour, dependent upon experience. This position is included in a bargaining unit, specifically The Laborer's International Union of North America, Local 792, United Public Employees of California. Applications received by July 11, 2022, will receive first consideration.
- Operates and/or monitors electric motors, pumps, and valves to regulate flow of raw water into treatment plant. Set dosages for specified amounts of chemicals such as chlorine, fluoride and alum into water or adjust automatic devices that admit specified amounts of chemical into tanks to disinfect and clarify water.
- Monitors water Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA), system to include in‐line mixers and flocculators, gravity filters, and a variety of water quality instruments. Cleans sedimentation tanks, and pumps treated water into water reservoir.
- Cleans filter beds, using backwashing.
- Tests water samples to determine chlorine content, fluoride content, pH, turbidity, and temperature, nitrite and ammonia. Monitors pumps and tank levels; reads meters, exercise distribution main valves and hydrants.
- Records data, such as residual content of chemicals, water turbidity and contact time.
- Performs minor repairs to machines and equipment.
- Performs routine cleaning of plant facilities.
- Conducts Inventory for supplies and prepares requisitions to replenish supply stock.
- Makes independent judgements and decisions within the framework of written and oral instructions and accepted practices, processes and procedures while completing assignments.
- Other duties as assigned, associated with the operation of vital functions for water operations as needed.
- Employee is required to work weekends, holidays and shift duties as required.
- Associate degree (A.A.) or Equivalent; or Two (2) years of college or technical school; or Six (6) months to one (1) year related experience and/or training; or Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid CA Driver's license.
- Grade T2 Water Treatment Plant Operator Certification.
- Grade D1 Water Distribution Operator Certification (required within 1 year of employment).
- Backflow Device Tester Certificate (required within 1 year of employment).
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals; write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to communicate effectively before groups of customers or Trust Water Department employees.
- Ability to apply mathematical concepts such as statistical trend analysis and algebra; Understanding of concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form; and deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
About the Presidio the Presidio Water Department
The Presidio Trust Water Department maintains both the water production and water distribution systems necessary to provide clean, safe drinking water to the equivalent of a small city. This includes ensuring adequate water supply and flows to meet all fire protection, irrigation, and domestic use. Our historic Water Treatment Plant, located near Baker Beach, draws its source water from Lobos Creek, the last free flowing stream in San Francisco. Daily flows average 1.4 MGD of which approximately .5‐1.0 MGD is diverted to our Treatment Plant, treated and distributed park wide to 1500 service connections.
Driver's License Investigation & Review
This position requires a current, valid Driver's License prior to starting work, and maintenance of a driver's license throughout occupancy of the position. You will be subject to a driver's license investigation as a New Entrant, and annual driver's license reviews thereafter. An individual's granting of an investigation and resulting reports thereafter is voluntary, however, employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a driver's license investigation. The Trust may refuse to hire an individual, rescind an offer of employment, or review and terminate the employment of a current employee who does not successfully complete the driver's license investigation.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
All Presidio Trust employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an approved medical or religious exemption. Employment is contingent upon submitting a COVID-19 Certification of Vaccination or qualifying for an exemption when hired.