The Presidio Trust is seeking a Volunteer Program Manager to join the Visitor Engagement Department. Once an Army Base, the Presidio of San Francisco is now a new kind of national park. The 1,500-acre Presidio is richly layered in history, is a natural oasis for wildlife, plants, and people, and offers iconic views known around the world. In its third decade as a park, public awareness and enjoyment of this exceptional place continues grow.
The Volunteer Program Manager is responsible for developing and executing a comprehensive program to engage and retain volunteers in Area B of the Presidio, whose activities help advance the Trust’s mission and strategic goals and welcome visitors in enjoying and forging connections to their national park. This role works interdepartmentally establishing a sustainable and well-run program and serves as the Trust liaison to the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy and National Park Service, to align our respective volunteer programs into a more unified, efficient Golden Gate National Parks Volunteer Program.
Our ideal candidate is a natural collaborator with excellent communication skills who is passionate about parks and engaging volunteers in the care and stewardship of public lands. They are an inclusive leader who builds trust, welcomes new perspectives, and forges strong working relationships with volunteers, colleagues, and partner organizations. They adroitly understand and apply a variety of requirements to ensure the Trust’s volunteer program complies with relevant policies and regulations. They are a highly organized self-starter, skilled and comfortable working in database environments, and eager to be part of and help build a community of engaged park advocates and supporters.
This is a full-time position with benefits and a starting pay range of $87,928 to $100,348. The starting base salary is dependent on the experience and qualifications of the candidate. Applications received by May 12, 2023 will receive first consideration.
- Program Administration - Ensures the Trust’s volunteer program aligns with the Trust’s mission and strategic goals and maximizes the value volunteer service brings to the Presidio. Oversees a year-round schedule of volunteer needs and activities (scheduling and fulfillment), as well as volunteer policies, procedures, and standards of volunteer service. Prepares volunteer-related agreements, job descriptions, conducts volunteer outreach and communication, placement, recruitment, screening, performance management (as needed), and other related duties.
- Partnership - Collaborates with cross functional departments to assess organizational needs that can be met with volunteer efforts. Serves as liaison to the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy and National Park Service in order to align our volunteer programs into a more unified, efficient and singular Golden Gate National Parks Volunteer Program.
- Volunteer Relationship Management – Establishes and maintains an inclusive program that welcomes volunteers and staff from all backgrounds and abilities to engage in volunteerism in the park. Manages the Trust’s relationships with individual volunteers and organizations and corporations that volunteer in Area B. Coordinates and grows a core of dedicated volunteers and park advocates. Coordinates appreciation and recognition for volunteers, including tracking volunteer milestones and assisting with the organization of volunteer recognition activities and events. Facilitates staff and volunteer conflict resolution and disciplinary and termination processes for volunteers as needed.
- Data Management - Maintains database management systems, tracking metrics, reporting and evaluation for volunteer-related data related to Area B activities, in partnership with the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy and National Park Service. Assists in setting Department KPIs for the program and ensuring targets are met.
- Communication - Partners with Marketing & Communications on media and publicity efforts; and oversees volunteer communication, volunteer webpages, and the production of monthly volunteer newsletters and other communications. Ensures that volunteer led events, programs, and materials provided to volunteers are all consistent with Trust and Partnership for the Presidio branding and messaging.
- Compliance - Partners with Employee Support Services, Finance and Legal to vet and improve volunteer engagement protocols, systems, and processes for compliance. Ensures the program complies with relevant requirements. Develops new or updates existing guidebooks, policies and protocols for the program, keeping pace with regulatory requirements and the changing needs of the program.
- Agency Ambassador - Communicates the vision and goals of the volunteer program. Represents the Presidio Trust at public meetings, conferences, professional meetings, and in other public forums. Develops or contributes to presentations on volunteer programs and partnerships for the Trust Management Team, Leadership Team and other Trust staff teams as needed.
- Budget Oversight - Oversees Presidio Trust Volunteer Programs budget and volunteer-related purchasing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in park & recreation management, social science, tourism, public administration or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum five (5) years professional experience in relevant field.
- Three years’ experience in direct volunteer program coordination and management.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, motivate, lead, problem-solve and relate effectively to a diversity of individuals and cross-functional teams.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and demands under strict deadlines, including scheduling and conflicting priorities.
- Ability to work independently, problem-solve, and exercise sound judgement in addressing program needs.
- Proficiency with Internet, data management, CRM, scheduling software and Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Must be available to work occasional weekends and evenings.
- Experience in engaging diverse audiences including people of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities.
- Passion for working in a park environment and community building.
- Deep commitment to the highest level of customer service.
- Bilingual in Spanish, Cantonese or other non-English languages desirable.
- Graphic design, video production, and photography skills desirable.
- A passion for the mission and values of the Presidio Trust.
About the Visitor Engagement Team
The Visitor Engagement Team is dedicated to welcoming people of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities to enjoy their national park. They encourage and facilitate access through three key functions: Visitor Services (including permitted recreational events and activities), Community Partnerships (encouraging community access and support of an inclusive and relevant park), and Volunteer Programs (engaging volunteers in stewarding the park and welcoming visitors).
Background & Driver’s License Investigation and Review
The Presidio Trust has identified this position as subject to an employment background investigation which shall consist of a review of applicable county, state and Federal criminal and civil records, state bankruptcy indexes, driver’s license. An individual’s granting of a background investigation and resulting report is voluntary. However, employment in this sensitive position is contingent upon the successful completion of an employment background investigation. The Presidio Trust may refuse to hire an individual, may rescind an offer of employment to an individual, or may review and terminate the employment of a current employee not successfully completing the background investigation.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
All Presidio Trust employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an approved medical or religious exemption. Employment is contingent upon submitting a COVID-19 Certification of Vaccination or qualifying for an exemption when hired.
The Presidio Trust is an equal opportunity employer, offering a competitive benefits package. To apply, download the employment application from our website at www.presidio.gov/presidio-trust/jobs and submit your application to our email address listed on our website.