The Presidio Trust is seeking a customer focused Visitor Services Associate in our Park Programs Department. Once an Army Base, the Presidio of San Francisco is now a new kind of national park. The 1,500 acre Presidio contains a richly layered history and it is a natural oasis for wildlife, plants, and people. It's also home to site-based art installations, a freshwater lake, an extensive network of hiking and biking trails, carefully restored and maintained historic buildings, and San Francisco's most iconic views. In its second decade as a park, public awareness and enjoyment of this exceptional place continues to grow.
Our ideal candidate is approachable and engaging, welcoming visitors and assessing their interests to help curate a meaningful park experience amongst the many activities and amenities the Presidio has to offer. You make a difference through lending your unique experience, background, and perspective to developing and maintaining collaborative working relationships with partner organizations. You are professional, courteous, articulate, and committed to providing exceptional customer service.
Applications received by October 16th, 2017 will receive first consideration. We are planning to hold the first round of interviews beginning the week of October 23rd, make a job offer by mid-November, and set a work start date in November or December.
- Serve as the initial point of contact at two key visitor destinations - the Presidio Officers' Club and the William Penn Mott, Jr. Presidio Visitor Center, welcoming visitors and facilitating their enjoyment, understanding and stewardship of the park and its resources.
- Provide an exceptional customer service-oriented approach when interacting with the public that is consistent, professional, friendly, and informative.
- Assess visitors' interests and needs, and make appropriate recommendations that encourage exploration of both venues as well as the entire Presidio and its many offerings.
- Maintain a working knowledge of Presidio programmatic offerings and visitor-oriented facilities, including the Heritage Gallery, Visitor Center, and temporary exhibits – whether provided by the Trust, the National Park Service, the Parks Conservancy, or one of the hundreds of Presidio tenants.
- Answer questions about the Presidio, the Presidio Trust, partner organizations, tenants, and the Golden Gate National Recreation Area; and raise questions that cannot be answered to appropriate staff or volunteers.
- Help field calls from the public related to general Presidio questions, as well as Park Programs offerings including programs, special events, camping, playing fields, etc.
- Assist with visitor tracking and feedback including close coordination and information sharing amongst partner organizations, support with follow up (in response to visitor feedback) as needed.
- Support a variety of Park Programs activities including community events, programs, community outreach and engagement, and guided tours.
- Assist with opening and/or closing the Officers' Club front desk and the Presidio Visitor Center (PVC). The Officers' Club is currently open 6 days a week and the PVC is open 7 days a week, both are open most holidays. Turn on/off digital displays, stock park information pamphlets, retrieve and respond to voicemail messages, alert appropriate staff when exhibit or building repairs are needed, and turn on/off security systems.
- Assist with booking the Rob Hill Campground for overnight guests and public picnic sites.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university in parks and recreation management, communication, education, tourism, or other related discipline.
- At least one year of customer service experience or interacting with the public, preferably in a cultural institution or other public facing organization.
- Exceptional skill in listening and oral communication: ability to actively listen and engage a wide range of audiences, ability to communicate and present information clearly verbally and in written form; and to represent the Presidio and Presidio Trust in a positive manner.
- Experience with service recovery, ensuring that the visitor is always the priority. Skilled in knowing when to take responsive action to "recover" a dissatisfied visitor and convert them into a satisfied one.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills. Ability to present written information to management, prioritize tasks, and manage schedules and lists. Ability to be flexible and multi-task effectively, and to take initiative and work independently.
- Positive and engaging demeanor: ability to inspire visitors with the resources and programs of the Presidio; ability to collaborate with various community groups, park partners, program providers, event vendors and members of the public.
- Must have a passion for service and enjoy interacting with the pubic on a regular basis. Proven ability to deal with and defuse difficult situations.
- Willingness to learn, retain and disseminate a thorough knowledge of the Presidio including its history, projects, programs, dining, lodging, museums, art exhibits/installations, landmarks, the locations of restrooms, schedule and stop locations for the free PresidiGo shuttle system, relevant MUNI routes, and other visitor services and programs.
- Interest in and desire to learn and share with visitors the Presidio's extensive trail network to include mileage, time, difficulty, and fastest routes to key visitor destinations, scenic routes, and scenic overlooks in order to help visitors with wayfinding, orientation, and to suggest hiking or cycling options.
- Knowledge of and ability to employ various types of computer applications including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Work involves walking and standing for long periods of time in conjunction with greeting visitors, public tours, meetings, or in performing tasks outside the office. You may be required to carry light items or may drive or be a passenger in a motor vehicle.
- General support of the Officers' Club and Presidio Visitor Center activities may include regular weekends and holidays, and occasional evening programs and events for these 7-day-a-week operations.
- Passion for parks; strong desire to work for the Presidio.
- Bi-lingual in Cantonese, Mandarin, or Spanish, Driver's License.
About the Park Programs Team
The Park Programs Team is dedicated to welcoming and sharing the Presidio experience with people of all ages and backgrounds. They develop and manage both free public programming and revenue generating activities, bringing outdoor programs and signature events to the park. The team supports community outreach and engagement, provides opportunities to build meaningful connections to place through site-based art exhibitions, recreation and wellness activities, and develops self-guided adventures for guests through our trails, camping, and organized sports. The team also manages special park uses/permitting. In partnership with the National Park Service and Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy, the department supports ongoing staffing of the new Presidio Visitor Center.