The Presidio Trust is seeking a highly organized, independent and motivated Transportation Engineer to join the Park Division. You will be part of the team responsible for design, development, and management of a safe and sustainable transportation network for all modes, with a focus on projects and initiatives that make it more convenient and enjoyable to access and travel the park by transit, walking or biking.
The Transportation Engineer serves as the agency subject matter expert related to transportation safety, traffic control measures, bike facility design and accessibility improvements, as well as project management of transportation improvement projects from project scoping to construction. The Transportation Engineer oversees work of design consultants, and reviews design drawings for other projects to ensure transportation objectives are addressed.
Our ideal candidate has demonstrated success in managing complex projects greater than $500,000 in the public or private sector. You're detail-oriented, organized, and comfortable managing projects in both the field and the office. You have a drive for excellence, a passion for public land management, strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
The Trust offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Applications received by December 8, 2022 will receive first consideration.
- Develop and manage long-term improvement plans for the transportation network, with a focus on active transportation modes.
- Prepare, review, and oversee the design of capital projects for bus stops, bicycle and pedestrian network improvements, and intersection reconfigurations, as well as in-house development of drawings for striping and signage projects.
- Submit and guide projects through the Presidio Trust's planning review process to confirm and certify compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA), as well as the Trust's internal design review and permitting processes.
- Develop conceptual designs to reconfigure or modify roadways, intersections, parking lots, sidewalks and trails. Manage consultant design of these facilities to Issue-for-Bid drawings and manage capital projects through completion.
- Develop scopes of work, establish and monitor schedules of project details, and participate in contractor selection and contract development.
- Develop and implement a long-term accessibility improvement plan for sidewalks, parking lots and other elements of the public right-of-way.
- Review and provide design guidance for capital projects managed by other Presidio Trust departments. Provide advice to other Presidio Trust Project Managers about accessibility standards and guidelines in the public right-of-way.
- Investigate and respond to resident, visitor and tenant requests related to traffic issues, including engineering analysis and design of traffic calming improvements. Oversee the implementation of traffic calming projects by Trust Operations staff and/or contractors.
- Provide critical analysis and input to agency decision-makers concerning transportation proposals, problems, and issues.
- Represent the Presidio Trust at public and interagency meetings on transportation engineering and planning topics, including strategic planning, traffic congestion, parking management, traffic safety and land use impacts.
- Evaluate leasing opportunities and other projects for consistency with the transportation analysis and assumptions of the Presidio Trust Management Plan.
- Conduct or oversee traffic and parking analyses and document results in NEPA documents.
- Review and approve temporary traffic control plans for all park construction projects.
- Serve as agency's subject matter expert on transportation safety.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent from a four-year college or university with a degree in civil engineering or a related field, AND
- Five (5) years of progressively higher-level work experience in the transportation field.
- Professional knowledge of, and skill in applying, theories, concepts, and principles of transportation engineering.
- Extensive knowledge of industry standards and guidelines for public rights-of-way, including accessibility standards and guidelines.
- Engineer-In-Training (EIT)
- Proficiency in traffic operational analysis software, AutoCAD, AutoTurn, ArcGIS, SmartSheets and StreetSaver.
- Professional Engineers License (PE) in Traffic or Civil Engineering
- Valid California Driver's License
About the Park Division
The Presidio, formerly a 1,491-acre Army base, is now a new kind of national park. The park offers unique recreation, hospitality, and educational opportunities, and is home to thousands of residential and non-residential tenants. A unique federal agency, the Presidio Trust is a national park site that generates its own revenue from leasing over 700 former military buildings as homes and workspaces. We invest that revenue into our historic forest, trails, designed landscapes, historic buildings, infrastructure, visitor sites and programs, and our people, to make this magnificent place come alive for our park visitors. The Presidio Trust uses this revenue in combination with federal transportation funding to maintain and upgrade its transportation systems – from new Presidio Go shuttle buses to bike and pedestrian projects.
The Park Division plays a critical role in welcoming people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds and sustainably managing park resources. The Transportation Office advances the Trust's mission and strategic goals by developing and implementing projects that:
- Make it convenient to get to the Presidio's most popular destinations without a car
- Enhance the experience of traveling by foot, bike, or transit within the park
- Reduce GHG emissions from trips to/from and within the Presidio
- Minimize the environmental impact of transportation-related infrastructure
- Eliminate serious injuries from road collisions and tripping hazards
- Maintain the existing network and transit infrastructure in a state of good repair
The Presidio Trust has identified this position as subject to a enhanced employment background investigation, which shall consist of a review of applicable county, state and Federal criminal and civil records. An individual's granting of a background investigation and resulting report is voluntary, however, employment is contingent upon the successful completion of the investigation. The Trust may refuse to hire an individual, rescind an offer of employment, or review and terminate the employment of a current employee who does not successfully complete a background investigation.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
All Presidio Trust employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an approved medical or religious exemption. Employment is contingent upon submitting a COVID-19 Certification of Vaccination or qualifying for an exemption when hired.