The Presidio Trust is seeking a Senior Project Manager to join the management team of the Tunnel Tops project. The Presidio is a new kind of national park in the heart of a bustling urban area. Spanning 1,500 acres in a spectacular setting at the Golden Gate, the Presidio is home to the spectacular vistas, nature, history, and programs that visitors would expect in a national park as well as a community of residents and organizations who bring renewed vitality and purpose to this former military post. Since 1994, major improvements have made the park a welcoming place for millions. The biggest improvement is yet to come – the Presidio Tunnel Tops project.
Our ideal candidate is a results-oriented, seasoned professional who contributes to the success of the team and the project. You are confident in your ability to respond in a timely and appropriate manner to design, management, and field situations; and you communicate well with a variety of stakeholders. You are self-motivated and work independently and collaboratively on issues, details and systems relevant to the overall project. Patience, humor and stamina are key.
Applications received by February 5th, 2018 will receive first consideration. This is a full-time position with benefits, expected to last through completion of the project, approximately three to four years. We are planning to begin interviewing the week of February 12th, make a job offer by the end of February, and set a work start date in March 2018.
- Communicate objectively, accurately, and succinctly.
- Provide in-house and daily onsite construction management expertise for the Site, Building and Interpretive Project Managers during the construction and close-out phases.
- Monitor and provide performance oversight, project scheduling, and documentation.
- Assist with contracts, budgets, schedules, and change order process. Monitor the construction process and anticipate difficulties, resolve issues early, and keep the work flowing.
- Identify, clarify, and expedite information and document issues happening onsite in real time through documented RFIs, ASIs, Submittals, and other Construction Documents.
- Serve as the Lead for the Trust Tunnel Top team during the Earthwork, select Infrastructure (drainage, utilities) Scope of Work, and in a supporting role for the Building and Landscape Scope of Work.
- Work with the Tunnel Top design team, its partners and management teams, permitting agents, and pertinent departments to obtain and track all necessary regulatory approvals, building and excavation permits, and any other licenses or permits required to perform the work.
- Prepare reports, memos, and official documentation including field observations and inspections, contractual violations, correction, conformance, etc.
- Oversee third party contract staff (Special Inspection, Geotechnical, Remediation).
- Work with the Presidio Trust document controls department and Tunnel Tops team on close out process and deliverables.
- Bachelor's degree in architecture, landscape architecture, construction management, professional engineering, civil engineering, or construction engineering AND 10 years of related experience with construction projects involving landscape, streetscape, or architecture construction or renovation projects greater than $25,000,000 in the public or private sector.
- Experience in preparation/review of preliminary and detailed construction documents, schedules, budgets, and cost estimates
- On site construction field experience.
- Ability to work effectively with design and engineering professionals, cost estimators, contractors, field superintendents and other construction personnel.
- Experience with project development and project management, and cost accounting processes.
- Experience with archeology, historic preservation, environmental remediation, and natural resources practices for a National Historic Landmark District.
- Agile and flexible within a small team dynamic and able to backup other team members.
- Excellent communication, organizational, supervisory, and planning skills.
- Solid computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office: Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel and project/construction management software (such as New Forma) including MS Project.
- Proficient in reading/writing English, exceptional interpersonal skills, a strong work ethic, and customer service oriented.
- Valid Professional Registration issued by the State of California to practice architecture, civil engineering or landscape architecture.
- Experience with federal capital projects; campus, educational and public spaces/buildings; and historical restoration and preservation.
- Familiarity with mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems.
- Familiarity with sustainability principles, LEED accreditation, and Bay Friendly Landscape guidelines.
- Experience with cloud based software systems.
About the Tunnel Tops Project
A portion of the elevated highway that cut through the Presidio for seven decades on its path to the Golden Gate Bridge has been replaced with an at-grade roadway hidden from public view by discrete tunnels. This creates a singular opportunity to establish a magnificent 14-acre landscape that integrates the San Francisco Bay waterfront with the Presidio's historic core. Once completed, park visitors will enjoy an unparalleled experience of the Golden Gate. Open to all, the Tunnel Tops will welcome visitors with spectacular views, food and amenities, free public events, pathways and vista points, and gathering spaces where people can create their own experiences. The Tunnel Tops project includes three interconnected sites: a gracious new arrival plaza adjacent to the Presidio Visitor Center, a dramatic designed landscape above the roadway tunnels, and a revitalized Crissy Field Center Youth Campus with a public Field Station and a 2½ acre Playscape. With the Imagine and Design phases complete, we are eagerly approaching the Construction Documents and building phases, and look forward to celebrating the opening of the Presidio Tunnel Tops in 2020.
This position requires Financial Disclosure, both as a New Entrant into the position and annually thereafter. The purpose of the financial disclosure system is to assist employees and their agencies in avoiding conflicts between official duties and private financial interests or affiliations.