The Presidio Trust is seeking a Safety & Occupational Health Specialist to serve in a pivotal role in implementing safety policies, procedures, and training programs for the Presidio Trust. The Presidio is a new kind of national park. It is home to the spectacular vistas, nature and programs that visitors would expect in a national park as well as a community of residents and organizations who bring renewed vitality and purpose to this former military post. The Presidio Trust is an innovative federal agency created to save the Presidio and share it with the public.
The Safety & Occupational Health Specialist will collaboratively partner with individuals at all levels, from across the organization to run a robust, professional, and proactive safety program. The ideal candidate will demonstrate excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills, as you'll be called upon to engage employees; explain technical concepts so that non-experts can understand; and negotiate recommended changes to the work environment to prevent accidents and injuries.
This is a full-time role with benefits. Applications received by February 19, 2021 will receive first consideration.
- Coordinate with United States Park Police and National Park Service personnel in matters relating to emergency and disaster management, including but not limited to the discovery of unexploded ordinance (UXO).
- Participate as a member of the Trust's Emergency Management Team-act as the Safety and Security Officer.
- Develop and implement building emergency evacuation plans, annual building evacuation drills in conjunction with the Trust's Deputy Fire Marshal and/or Fire Protection Inspector.
- Plan, organize, direct, operate, and evaluate safety and occupational health program-includes but not limited to apply established standards and codes, investigate accidents and near misses, and correct unsafe acts and conditions by proposing effective countermeasures.
- Utilize contemporary safety and occupational health methodology and devise measures to control or eliminate hazards and reduce risk.
- Coordinate with the Workers' Compensation program and Employee Support Services Department to implement measures, policies, and procedures to reduce the incidence and cost of occupational injury and illness claims.
- Respond to workplace emergencies during both duty and non-duty hours.
- Conduct safety and health surveys to determine potential hazardous or unsafe conditions.
- Plan and prepare safety and health guidelines for various work tasks. Develop goals and objectives, draft safety policies, procedures and develop, coordinate, conduct safety and health training for employees, supervisors, and managers.
- Coordinate OSHA/EPA mandated training to ensure employees secure and maintain proper certifications/licenses relating to EPA/OSHA/DOT requirements.
- Maintain occupational injury and illness records, analyze trends and propose corrective actions.
- Coordinate medical evaluations for respirator utilization, audiometric exams, blood lead tests, and other occupational health services with the Federal Occupational Health (FOH) Agency and conduct annual fit testing for respiratory protection devices.
- Coordinate First Aid, AED, and CPR Training to meet OSHA requirements and for general office and workplace safety.
- Coordinate the procurement and maintenance of utility truck first aid kits, wall mounted first aid cabinets, and AEDs.
- Respond to safety and health complaints or suggestions from employees, tenants, or visitors in a positive, constructive, professional manner.
- Review construction plans (Site Specific Safety and Health Plans- SSSHP) prepared by construction and remediation contractors for inclusion of appropriate safety, health, and environmental provisions.
- Monitor and track abatement of unsafe or unhealthy working conditions. Recommend corrective solutions/actions to ensure prompt abatement of unsafe or unhealthy working conditions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least Five (5) years of experience in safety and occupational health.
- Valid California Driver's License.
- Strong knowledge of Federal safety compliance regulations, including but not limited to Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards, regulations, and guidelines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and conduct training.
- Ability to work in a team environment and achieve results. Ability to work with all levels within an organization and the ability to management in a diverse work safety workgroup.
- Strong organizational and time management skills; ability to handle multiple projects.
- Computer skills, especially in Microsoft Office and data base systems.
- Ability to lead incident investigations, track, analyze and report on results.
- Bachelor's degree in Occupation Health, Industrial Safety or applicable field.
- Safety and occupational health experience in the construction and/or the federal government.
- NIMS Incident Management certification.
- CPR certified.
About the Presidio Trust Land and Building Stewardship Team
Our mission is to make the Presidio thrive by keeping the land, buildings and infrastructure of this beautiful park in excellent shape and by providing outstanding customer service to everyone we meet. We are proud of our role in making the Presidio successful and look forward to welcoming you, our next leader, to help us continue to excel.
The Presidio Trust has identified this position as subject to a standard employment background investigation which shall consist of a review of applicable county, state and Federal criminal and civil records, state bankruptcy indexes, driver's license, and a credit report. An individual's granting of a background investigation and resulting report is voluntary, however, employment is contingent upon the successful completion of the investigation. The Trust may refuse to hire an individual, rescind an offer of employment, or review and terminate the employment of a current employee who does not successfully complete a background investigation.