The Presidio Trust is seeking a temporary Pest Controller Helper to join our Building Maintenance Department and assist with landscape and structural pest control. The Presidio of San Francisco, the 1,491-acre former Army base at the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge, is now a new kind of national park. The park includes 477 individually significant historic buildings, about 6 million square feet of office space, and more than 180 historic objects. To date, 325 historic buildings have been fully or partially rehabilitated and are now occupied. Now, these beautiful, historic buildings are revived with new life and new uses for our public visitors, tenants, and employees. The Building Maintenance Department keeps these spaces both beautiful and functional for their modern uses.
Our Pest Controller Helper assists in keeping our historic and non-historic buildings pest free with a very limited use of harmful substances, ensuring that the environment and wildlife are not compromised. Our ideal candidate must be able to apply the Presidio Trust Integrated Pest Management (IPM) procedures, laws and regulations governing pest control operations while keeping the sensitive nature of the Presidio in mind. You will deal directly with tenants and must have impeccable customer service skills.
This is a full-time position, not to exceed 11 months. Applications received by October 2nd, 2017 will receive first consideration. We are planning to hold the first round of interviews beginning the week of October 9th, make a job offer by mid to late October, and set a work start date in October or November.
- Under the direction of the Pest Controller Supervisor, perform the simpler and more routine work of pest control.
- Use the principals of the Presidio Trust Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Program to inspect and monitor exterior rodent trap boxes throughout the park.
- Set mechanical traps within trap boxes, check bait, remove catches when present and keep box clear of obstruction. Keep boxes secure by anchor, guide wire and box locks.
- Maintain work records, including daily work reports and materials. Enter data into a mobile hand held computer.
- Respond to requests, questions, comments and concerns from the general public, residents, tenants and Presidio staff, as appropriate, using the principals of good customer service.
- Report any problems or issues to Pest Controller Supervisor.
- High school diploma/general education degree (GED), or six months of related experience, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of laws and regulations governing pest control operations relating to exterior rodent trapping, Integrated Pest Management procedures, and methods and practices for controlling pests in the landscape and around buildings and structures.
- Knowledge of and ability to use equipment and tools used for pest control such as a handheld computer scanner, keys, and cordless drills.
- Thorough knowledge of safety practices pertinent to the work, and ability to perform the work in a safe manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers and other Trust employees, and to provide good customer service to customers, tenants and other employees.
- Ability to understand, apply common sense, and carry out instructions furnished in oral, written or diagram form instructions. Ability to maintain logs and records of equipment/supplies used.
- Regularly required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms (overhead reaching not required), stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Required to sit, use hands and fingers, and regularly lift and/or move up to 15 pounds (overhead lifting not required).
- Regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts, occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and cramped or tight spaces. The noise level in the work environment can be loud.
- Must have a valid State of California Class "C" Driver's License.
- Passion for parks; strong desire to work for the Presidio.
- Knowledge of physical characteristics of pests common to the park, and ability to identify and take action regarding pests related to park plants, trees, turf, buildings, and structures.
About the Presidio Building Maintenance Department
The Presidio is an extraordinary place to work for the thousands of employees of approximately 100 business who lease commercial space in the park. More than 3.5 million square feet of non-residential space is located throughout the park. Approximately 3,000 people reside in 2 million square feet of residential apartments, multiplexes, or single-family homes in one of the 21 distinct Presidio neighborhoods, which are located near forest groves, trails, waterfront paths, a golf course and two beaches. Two-thirds of the buildings are historic, representing a variety of architectural styles, spanning the periods of Spanish rule, the Civil War, World War I & II, through the 20th Century, to present day. The Presidio Trust Building Maintenance Department ensures that these beautiful, historic buildings are renovated and maintained for contemporary uses, while preserving their unique characteristics for our tenants, residents, employees, and visitors. The Building Maintenance Department successfully manages to accomplish these many and varied tasks utilizing green building sustainable practices while holding one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the industry.