The Presidio Trust is seeking a Payroll & Personnel Specialist to support personnel and payroll records administration and workers compensation claims. An unusual federal agency, the Presidio Trust runs the only national park site that is required by Congress to earn our own revenue. Each year we earn in excess of $100 million by leasing over 700 former military buildings as homes, hotels and commercial workspaces. We then must care for and protect these resources and the people who work and live here.
Our ideal candidate is well-organized and detail-oriented and embraces the opportunity to work in a team-oriented department. You have outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, have a professional knack for problem-solving, and are a whiz with Excel and other computer systems. This position works closely with the Senior Payroll & Personnel Specialist and reports directly to the Assistant Director of Employee Support Services.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Applications received by May 14, 2021 will receive first consideration.
- Support the day-to-day administration and use of the Federal Personnel and Payroll System (FPPS). Communicate with the Trust's payroll provider, the Interior Business Center (IBC), as needed. Attend IBC User Group meetings.
- Support all FPPS employee set-up and payroll functions from the simplest to the most complex. Resolve the full range of processing problems to provide accurate and timely transaction processing on both the personnel and payroll sides of the system.
- Support the day-to-day administration and use of Quicktime. Assist and lead Quicktime training program for employees, supervisors, managers, timekeepers, and ESS staff. Set up employee profiles, user IDs, and passwords.
- Coordinate appropriate Oracle finance system set up of new hires, cost account and pay rate updates on a biweekly basis. Assist Accounting with reconciliations by providing detailed explanations of items that appears on the labor cost file.
- Serve as the backup Electronic Official Personnel File (eOPF) system administrator and the primary indexer of eOPF files. Request eOPF from other Agencies and retire eOPF to the National Archives and Records Administrations. Assist and lead eOPF trainings for employees, supervisors, managers, timekeepers, and ESS staff. Set up employee profiles, user IDs, and passwords.
- Serve as the backup Security Administrator for FPPS, Quicktime, eOPF, Employee Express (EEX), Employees' Compensation Operations & Management Portal (ECOMP), Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE), and Workforce Transformation Tracking System (WTTS).
- Support the Office of Workers' Compensation Program (OWCP) program. Ensure employees are provided appropriate forms, advise on forms completion, and answer questions about workers comp benefits. Maintain complete OWCP files and assist supervisors with appropriate procedures.
- Provide leave administration guidance on federal leave programs, including the Voluntary Leave Transfer Program (VLTP), Leave Without Pay (LWOP), Military Leave, Advanced Leave, Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and Paid Parental Leave (PPL).
- Coordinate and facilitate Timekeeper meetings and assist and lead trainings for Timekeepers concerning rules and regulations for complete and accurate timekeeping. Assist as needed to address timekeeping and pay issues. Assist Timekeepers on the usages of appropriate pay codes.
- Gather personnel data and provide data reports upon request.
- Support implementation of accurate and timely payment transactions for back pay, severance, settlement agreements, and other payouts with IBC.
- Write processes and communications related to personnel and payroll processing and worker's compensation.
- Support the Trust's transition to a new payroll and HRIS.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate Degree.
- At least 3 years of experience working in payroll or a similar role with an understanding of payroll rules, laws, time and attendance.
- Working knowledge of basic accounting principles and payroll practices, and experience working with accounting and payroll software.
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills. High numerical aptitude and detail oriented.
- Critical thinking skills - ability to define problems, identify relationships, evaluate and assess impacts, and arrive at conclusions when analyzing complex or highly sensitive topics.
- Ability to articulate, interpret, and clearly explain orally and in writing complex issues and findings using research and data analysis.
- Effective collaboration, written and oral communication, project management, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to effectively manage and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Track record of utilizing technology and/or increasing your own technology skills to make work more efficient, user-friendly and easier to run and maintain.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Teams.
- Emotional intelligence and cultural humility; interest and ability to connect with and engage a diversity of people by showing empathy and sensitivity to their individual perspectives and needs.
- Exceptional judgment and discretion; ability to keep sensitive information confidential.
- Ability to balance the needs of the business, manager and staff while managing risk for the organization.
- Optimistic and positive attitude with a demonstrated deep commitment to exceptional customer service.
- Ability to provide assistance in implementing organizational and procedural changes to the payroll and personnel processing systems, and to provide advice and guidance on problems as they relate to the automated systems.
- Experience working for a federal agency using Quicktime, FPPS and/or eOPF.
- Experience with Worker's Compensation.
- A sense of humor.
- A love for national parks, especially the Presidio!
About the Presidio Employee Support Services Team
The Employee Support Services (ESS) team is responsible for creating and supporting a world class employee experience for the Trust's 300 staff. The ESS team has ten (10) members and manages all aspects of human resources, compensation, benefits, payroll and learning.
The Presidio Trust has identified this position as subject to a standard employment background investigation which shall consist of a review of applicable county, state and Federal criminal and civil records, state bankruptcy indexes, driver's license, and a credit report. An individual's granting of a background investigation and resulting report is voluntary, however, employment is contingent upon the successful completion of the investigation. The Trust may refuse to hire an individual, rescind an offer of employment, or review and terminate the employment of a current employee who does not successfully complete a background investigation.