The Presidio Trust is seeking a Park Maintenance Worker. The Presidio of San Francisco, the 1,491-acre former Army base at the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge, is now a new kind of national park. The park includes 477 individually significant historic buildings, about 6 million square feet of office space, and more than 180 historic objects. To date, 325 historic buildings have been fully or partially rehabilitated and are now occupied. Now, these beautiful, historic buildings are revived with new life and new uses for our public visitors, tenants, and employees.
The Park Maintenance Worker works under general supervision as a member of a crew and performs a wide range of duties related to routine maintenance on outdoor areas , including servicing of public trash and other waste receptacles, recycling, concrete and asphalt paving, roads, trails and sidewalk maintenance, compost production and equipment operation, and other minor repair items, including painting, carpentry, and site furnishings repair.
Our ideal candidate is a team player with a strong work ethic and passion for maintenance, waste reduction and problem-solving skills to help us maintain and care for the Presidio
Applications received by December 31, 2020 will receive first consideration. We expect to hire for the position in January 2021. This is a full-time position with benefits and a minimum salary of $26.98 per hour.
- Maintain park areas including picnic areas, trails, roadsides, playgrounds, camp sites, park furnishings, walks and patios.
- Perform minor carpentry jobs and other minor repair items, including painting, and general repair
- Responsible for maintaining the scheduled pick up of all public trash and other waste receptacles throughout the park.
- Keep accurate records of quantities of trash and recyclables.
- Assist the park-wide zero waste initiatives.
- Recommend and utilize skills to reduce landfill waste and increase separation of recyclable materials.
- Operate a variety of power tools and equipment such as backhoe, loader, skid steer, dump trucks and utility vehicles in a safe and professional manner.
- Assist Roads & Trails crew with maintenance of roads & trails consisting of a variety of surfaces.
- Maintain shop area, storage yards, supplies and equipment in a professional manner.
- Provide traffic control assistance as needed.
- Documents work and completes assigned work orders.
- Ability to follow established PPE protection protocols and safe work practices.
- Ability to work extended hours, including nights, weekends and holidays.
- May be asked to explain tasks, assists in training, and provide direction to employees or volunteers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Required to regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions; occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; hazardous materials, and bodily fluids.
- High School diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Two (2) years verifiable experience in a park environment
- Valid CA Driver's License, commercial license a plus.
- Valid HazWoper Certification, minimum 40-hour certification required.
- Familiar with solid waste and HazMat storage and disposal procedures.
- Good Judgement
- Experience interacting with the public
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedures.
- Ability to follow oral and written directions
About the Presidio Trust Landscape Stewardship Department
Our mission is to make the Presidio thrive by keeping the land, buildings and infrastructure of this beautiful park in excellent shape and by providing outstanding customer service to everyone we meet. The Landscape Stewardship Department is responsible for the grounds, forest, roads and trails and natural resources programs throughout the park. Our investment into our historic forest, dunes, streams, trails and designed landscapes, into our hundreds of historic buildings, into our infrastructure, into visitor sites and programs and into our people, make this magnificent place come alive for our park visitors.
Driver's License Investigation & Review
This position requires a current, valid Driver's License prior to starting work, and maintenance of a driver's license throughout occupancy of the position. You will be subject to a driver's license investigation as a New Entrant, and annual driver's license reviews thereafter. An individual's granting of an investigation and resulting reports thereafter is voluntary, however, employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a driver's license investigation. The Trust may refuse to hire an individual, rescind an offer of employment, or review and terminate the employment of a current employee who does not successfully complete the driver's license investigation.