The Presidio Trust is seeking a Park Maintenance Worker. The Presidio of San Francisco, the 1,491- acre former Army base at the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge, is now a new kind of national park. The park includes 477 individually significant historic buildings, about 6 million square feet of office space, and more than 180 historic objects. To date, 325 historic buildings have been fully or partially rehabilitated and are now occupied. Now, these beautiful, historic buildings are revived with new life and new uses for our public visitors, tenants, and employees.
The Park Maintenance Worker works under general supervision as a member of a crew and performs a wide range of duties related to routine maintenance on outdoor areas, including servicing of public trash and other waste receptacles, recycling, concrete and asphalt paving, roads, trails and sidewalk maintenance, compost production and equipment operation, and other minor repair items, including painting, carpentry, and site furnishings repair.
Applications received by April 29, 2022, will receive first consideration. This is a full-time position with benefits and a minimum pay of $33.93 per hour.
- Maintain ornamental and native plantings to promote biodiversity and a resilient landscape
- Maintain park areas for daily use including picnic areas, trails, roadsides, playgrounds, parking lots, park furnishings, signage, walks and patios.
- Perform minor carpentry jobs and other minor repair items, including graffiti removal, and general repair
- Control invasive weed species using an Integrated Pest Management approach
- Responsible for maintaining the scheduled pick up of all public trash and other waste receptacles.
- Assist with the homelessness, biowaste, and biohazards
- Keep accurate records of quantities of trash and recyclables.
- Assist the park-wide zero waste initiatives.
- Recommend and utilize skills to reduce landfill waste and increase separation of recyclable materials including compostable items.
- Operate a variety of power tools and equipment such as skid steer, dump trucks, mowers, and utility vehicles in a safe and professional manner.
- Assist with the maintenance of the irrigation system.
- Maintain shop area, storage yards, supplies and equipment in a professional manner.
- Provide crowd control assistance as needed.
- Ability to assess growing conditions and make recommendations
- Documents work and completes assigned work orders.
- May explain tasks, assists in training, and provide direction to employees or volunteers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Two (2) years verifiable experience in a park maintenance environment
- Valid CA Driver's License, commercial license a plus.
- Valid HazWoper Certification (within 120 days of hire), minimum 40-hour certification required.
- Familiar with solid waste and HazMat storage and disposal procedures.
- Ability to work extended hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Required to regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Qualified Applicator's Certificate (within 120 days of hire)
- Frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions; occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; hazardous materials, and bodily fluids.
- Ability to follow established PPE protection protocols and safe work practices.
- Good Judgement
- Experience interacting with the public
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedures.
- Ability to follow oral and written directions
About the Presidio Trust Landscape Stewardship Department
The Landscape Stewardship Department's mission is to make the Presidio thrive by keeping the land, buildings, and infrastructure of this beautiful park in excellent shape and by providing outstanding customer service to everyone we meet. We are proud of our role in making the Presidio successful and look forward to welcoming you to help us continue to excel.
Driver's License Investigation & Review
This position requires a current, valid Driver's License prior to starting work, and maintenance of a driver's license throughout occupancy of the position. You will be subject to a driver's license investigation as a New Entrant, and annual driver's license reviews thereafter. An individual's granting of an investigation and resulting reports thereafter is voluntary, however, employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a driver's license investigation. The Trust may refuse to hire an individual, rescind an offer of employment, or review and terminate the employment of a current employee who does not successfully complete the driver's license investigation.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
All Presidio Trust employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an approved medical or religious exemption. Employment is contingent upon submitting a COVID-19 Certification of Vaccination or qualifying for an exemption when hired.