The Presidio Trust is seeking two Painter Workers to join the Building Maintenance team at the Presidio of San Francisco – a 1,500 acre national park with a richly layered history; landscapes that includes wildlife, native plants, and historic military buildings animated by more than 3,000 residents and 200 companies. As part of the Presidio Trust, an innovative federal agency created to save the Presidio of San Francisco as a park, the Building Maintenance team keeps the park's buildings both beautiful and functional for their modern uses. Learn more about the Presidio at www.presidio.gov.
Our ideal candidate is detail-oriented, reliable, and has great time-management skills. You take direction well, you're a team player, and you're interested in learning new skills. As you may interact directly with tenants, you also have excellent customer service skills.
These are full-time positions with benefits and a minimum salary of $27.89 per hour. Applications received by May 28th will receive first consideration. We are planning to hold interviews beginning the week of June 4th, make a job offer in mid-June, and set a work start date in June or July, 2018.
- Read work orders or receive instructions from supervisor or work leader regarding painting assignments.
- Smooth surfaces and remove old paint from surfaces to prepare surfaces for painting.
- Fill nail holes, cracks, and joints with caulk, putty, plaster, or other filler and remove fixtures prior to painting.
- Wash surfaces with mildew remover before applying paint.
- Spread drop cloths over floors and room furnishings, and cover surfaces such as baseboards, door frames, and windows with masking tape and paper to protect surfaces during painting.
- Erect scaffolding or set up ladders to perform tasks above ground level.
- Select pre-mixed paints, or mix pigment, oil and thinning and drying substances to prepare paint that matches existing or specified colors.
- Paint surfaces with brushes, spray gun, or paint rollers.
- Simulate wood grain, marble, brick, or tile effects.
- At least six months of related experience in residential construction or the painting trade at the helper level, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must possess and maintain a valid current California driver's license to drive service trucks containing tools, equipment, and products used on painting projects.
- Ability to read, write, and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to residents, tenants, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to resolve problems and answer tenant questions.
- Frequently required to stand and reach with hands and arms, walk, use hands and fingers, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, lift and move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally required to lift and move up to 50 pounds.
- Frequently exposed to outside weather conditions, and occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. Employee must meet physical requirements for use of a respirator. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided by employer and must be maintained and used by employee as needed.
- Passion for parks; strong desire to work for the Presidio
- Painter helper experience painting interior and exterior surfaces in residential and commercial buildings
- Strong desire to learn the painting trade, and good attitude
- Ability to work successfully with a diverse team – good people skills
- Ability to understand and meet the expectations of tenants and clients
About the Presidio Building Maintenance Department
The Building Maintenance team cares for 3.5 million square feet of non-residential commercial space and 2 million square feet of residential space, including apartments, multi-plexes, or single-family homes that are located in 21 distinct neighborhoods within the park. Two-thirds of the buildings in the Presidio are historic, representing nearly 250 years of history and a variety of architectural styles. The Building Maintenance team ensures these beautiful, historic buildings are renovated and maintained for contemporary uses by our tenants, residents, employees, and visitors while preserving their unique characteristics for future generations. The team utilizes green building sustainable practices and holds one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the industry.