The Presidio Trust is seeking a Learning Specialist. Once an Army base, the Presidio of San Francisco is now a new kind of national park. Nestled in 1,500 wooded and landscaped acres, it is home to spectacular vistas, nature, and programs. A community of residents and organizations who live and work in the Presidio bring renewed vitality and purpose to the former military post. The Presidio Trust is an innovative federal agency created to save the Presidio and share it with the public. This position is part of the Trust's People Division, which also includes teams of professionals in Employee Support Services, Internships, and Volunteer Engagement. We're a small but might team, serving more than 300 employees and thousands of volunteers each year. We're also innovative thanks to agency flexibilities, unique to the federal government, that provide People people with a work environment that is both stimulating and challenging.
If you love the outdoors, and love sharing the outdoors, consider joining us! Our ideal candidate has experience building both the structure of a learning program and the menu of options, delivered in various channels. You don't assume learning necessarily means pulling a bunch of people into a training room. You have deep and broad knowledge of content design and delivery, and you've managed a learning library and an LMS. You are a relationship builder, recognizing the importance of credibility and partnerships with stakeholders throughout the organization. You live and breathe data, using analytics to drive decision-making. As a key member of the People team, you'll partner with Employee Support Services, Internships, and Volunteer Engagement to ensure a consistent, exceptional experience. This is the opportunity to join an amazing team of professionals whom you'll continue to nurture, grow, and develop.
Applications received by Monday, August 27, 2018 will receive first consideration. We are planning to hold interviews beginning the week of September 3, 2018, second round interviews the week of September 10, 2018, and to make a selection the week of September 17, 2018. Please plan to be available during these interview times if you would like to be considered for this opportunity.
- Proactively identify areas where learning is required.
- Consult and collaborate with individuals across the Trust to assess needs, determine objectives, and create and evaluate learning opportunities.
- Formulate training outlines and determine instructional methods and program effectiveness measures, based upon defined learning objectives, utilizing knowledge of specified training needs and effectiveness of various methods and protocols.
- Develop training curricula and/or contracts for vendor programs that meet instructional goals and objectives, and that are fun, innovative, and effective; contribute to the internal training repository. Administer the new employee onboarding program.
- Occasionally deliver group and individual instruction and training covering a range of technical, operational, and/or management areas.
- Select or develop learning aids and resources, including handbooks, demonstration models, multimedia visual aids, computer tutorials, and reference works.
- Coordinate administrative functions necessary to deliver and document learning programs.
- Evaluate effectiveness of program and utilize relevant evaluation data to revise or recommend changes in instructional objectives and methods.
- Review instructor performance and recommend improvements to program content and/or instructor presentation method; may recruit, select, and train instructors.
- Manage all training-related contracts and the training office budget.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field AND at least three years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. Bachelor's degree in an unrelated field will be considered for candidates who possess two additional years (five, total) of directly relevant experience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Engaging teaching and facilitation skills; you know how to connect with learners.
- Ability to determine training objectives.
- Strong organizing and coordinating skills.
- Ability to design, develop, implement, and evaluate effective training plans, curricula, and methodology, knowing which protocols to use to ensure people learn effectively and apply their learning.
- Substantial experience writing, managing, and facilitating curriculum in both in-person and online spaces; strong editing skills to make training only as long as is effective and no longer.
- Deep experience collaborating with the other roles in a People team; experience building relationships across the organization.
- Skills in preparing instructional aids and plans using various platforms.
- Ability to create online content and administer an LMS.
- Love of parks and the Presidio, in particular.
- Natural curiosity and love of learning.
- Strong send of urgency to drive projects to completion.
About the Presidio Trust People Office
The Presidio Trust People Office is leading some exciting organizational changes! We are transforming our compensation and job classification structures. We are also poised to implement our first learning management system, applicant tracking system, and performance management system.
The Presidio Trust has identified this position as subject to a standard employment background investigation, which shall consist of a review of applicable county, state and Federal criminal and civil records. An individual's granting of a background investigation and resulting report is voluntary, however, employment is contingent upon the successful completion of the investigation. The Trust may refuse to hire an individual, rescind an offer of employment, or review and terminate the employment of a current employee who does not successfully complete a background investigation.