The Presidio Trust is seeking an Irrigation Specialist to join our Grounds Team in the Landscape Stewardship Department. Once an Army base, the Presidio is now a new kind of National Park. It has been designated a National Historic Landmark District, in part because of its beautiful historic landscapes. The Presidio Trust Grounds Team maintains over 180 acres of property around residences, commercial buildings, and public common areas. In addition to lawns and ornamental plantings, the managed landscapes include 3 ball fields, 10 playgrounds, 1 pet cemetery, the only campground in San Francisco, and the beloved Main Parade Ground. Our Grounds Team is also instrumental in ensuring that our dedicated volunteers are prepared to help perform basic grounds maintenance.
Our Grounds Team is often our first, and perhaps only, point of contact with the public. So in addition to experience and skills in water management and irrigation installation/maintenance/repair/design, the ideal candidate will be an ambassador. You will interact and answer questions with knowledge, warmth, and friendliness, so that each visitor, volunteer, and resident you meet has a positive impression of the Presidio Trust. You are meticulous about the safety of your co-workers, visitors, volunteers, residents, and yourself.
This is a full-time position with benefits and a minimum salary of $27.89 per hour. Applications received by March 26th, 2018 will receive first consideration. We are planning to hold interviews beginning the week of April 2nd, make a job offer by mid-April, and set a work start date in April or May, 2018.
- Assist landscape maintenance personnel and other Presidio Trust staff with diagnosing and troubleshooting irrigation related problems.
- Perform plan reviews and make revisions on proposed irrigation designs to ensure that they meet Department standards. Coordinate with project managers on inspection of new irrigation installations and prepare irrigation punch lists.
- Operate trenchers, tractors and other equipment and tools used for the installation and repair of irrigation systems. Excavate soil using hand tools including pick and shovel.
- Inspect and monitor landscape areas for irrigation problems, water management and conservation. Perform annual tests on all irrigation systems prior to the dry season and work with landscape personnel to make adjustments and repairs as needed. Train personnel as necessary.
- Install, troubleshoot and repair irrigation controllers, valves, central system equipment and other irrigation equipment and components as necessary.
- Program and operate controllers manually and by utilizing central control computer and hand held communication devices. Utilize central system computer for information on system performance, problems and for generating irrigation reports.
- May perform minor design of irrigation systems.
- Maintain work records including daily work reports; communicate with supervisor on needed materials and supplies; report to supervisor on the status/progress of work.
- Respond as appropriate to requests, questions, comments and concerns from public, residents, tenants and Presidio staff using the principals of good communication and customer service; report problems or issues to supervisor.
- High school diploma (or GED) and at least three years of experience in landscape irrigation installation, maintenance and repair.
- Knowledge of methods, practices, tools, materials and equipment used in installing, operating and maintaining irrigation systems, and basic irrigation design principles.
- Ability to identify, diagnose and repair irrigation systems; operate a variety of equipment and tools used in irrigation installation, maintenance and repair; and perform minor irrigation system design.
- Knowledge of water requirements for various soil types, turf grass, trees and plants.
- Ability to demonstrate principles and practices of work safety and excellent customer service in all work.
- Ability to establish and maintains positive working relationships with co-workers and other Trust employees; and to share information, objectives, techniques and work methods. Ability to speak effectively to customers and fellow employees at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to operate a computer and learn software used in operating irrigation controllers.
- Ability to read and interpret plans, specifications, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as area, circumference, and volume; and apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Required to wear a Presidio Trust uniform and personal protective equipment.
- Required to stand, walk, reach with and use hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, sit, climb, balance, regularly lift and move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and move up to 50 pounds.
- Must possess and maintain a valid California Class C Driver License.
- Passion for working at the Presidio. Experience interacting positively with the public and volunteers.
About Landscape Stewardship at the Presidio
The Presidio is rich in formal, ceremonial landscapes and historic neighborhood landscapes. Historic gates and tree-lined boulevards create a deep sense of place. The Main Parade Ground strengthens the dramatic setting of the Main Post and establishes it as the heart of the park. The Presidio's historic neighborhood landscapes represent a century in the evolution of military social and domestic life, from the small-scale Civil War-era Funston Avenue with its quaint Victorians and grander Queen Anne's to the enlisted men's housing above Baker Beach that was built in the 1950s and '70s. Rare ornamental plantings have been saved and historic gardens have been recreated with a contemporary sensibility, often with drought-tolerant native plants.
Driver's License Investigation and Review
This position requires a current, valid Driver's License prior to starting work, and maintenance of a driver's license throughout occupancy of the position. You will be subject to a driver's license investigation as a New Entrant, and annual driver's license reviews thereafter. An individual's granting of an investigation and resulting reports thereafter is voluntary, however, employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a driver's license investigation. The Trust may refuse to hire an individual, rescind an offer of employment, or review and terminate the employment of a current employee who does not successfully complete the driver's license investigation.