Are you an experienced SR. Human Resources Generalist that loves turning problems into
solutions, building efficient systems, and creating a work environment where all staff and
the organization can thrive? Do you excel at providing great service to all levels
of an organization? Do you embrace a culture of diversity, equity, inclusion and
The Presidio Trust is seeking a Sr. Human Resource Specialist to skillfully manage a wide
range of HR functions including, but not limited to, labor and employee relations,
collective bargaining agreement negotiations, talent acquisition, classification/job
analysis, compensation, leave administration, accommodations, safety, and performance
The Presidio Trust is an innovative federal agency that stewards and shares the beauty,
history, and wonder of the Presidio of San Francisco with everyone forever. We're public
servants from many disciplines working toward our triple bottom line – welcoming all
people and protecting the planet, fueled by the performance of
successful park businesses that earn the money that keeps the Presidio open, beautiful,
and free. We then must care for and protect these resources and the people who work
and live here.
This is a full-time role with benefits.
Applications received by February 3, 2023, will receive first consideration.
- Location, location, location! Spend your work life among the trees and beauty of a
world-renowned, iconic national park site.
- Work at the unique intersection of a mission-driven organization that is also solidly
self-sustaining and is very well supported by the community.
- Become a member of a highly collaborative, skilled human resource team.
- Work with incredibly passionate people who love and care for a national park.
- Serves as primary advisor and support to managers and staff in a wide range of HR
functions including but not limited to talent acquisition, classification/job
analysis, compensation, leave administration, accommodations, performance management,
and employee and labor relations.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion – Supports and helps inform Agency-wide efforts and
HR practices and policies that promote and support a diverse, equitable and inclusive
- Position Classification - Classifies positions using the Trust's internal job
analysis system to determine appropriate compensation and other conditions of
- Talent Acquisition - Develops and implements talent acquisition strategies,
including guiding managers in developing consistent and fair criteria for selecting
and evaluating candidates. Provides support to hiring managers throughout recruitment
- Compensation – Provides guidance on compensation, hours of work, work schedules,
within Trust policies. Has working knowledge of benefits programs and resources to
help guide staff.
- Leave Administration – Provides guidance to managers and staff on leave policies,
practices and administration. Understands interaction of various leave categories and
benefits to effectively counsel managers and staff. Responsible for administering and
following through on all aspects of leave administration.
- Accommodations – Responsible for partnering with managers and staff to evaluate and
make decisions on requests for accommodation due to disability, personal injury, or
- Safety – Responsible for supporting managers and staff related to public health
protocols and on-the-job injuries. Partners with Payroll to ensure appropriate claims
processing and administration. Represents the Agency with the Department of
Labor. Partners with managers and staff on return-to-work strategies and
accommodations. Partners with Safety Team, as necessary, to mitigate safety issues and
prevent workplace injuries.
- Performance Management – Provides coaching and guidance to managers to assist them
with empowering and motivating their staff to reach their greatest potential.
Responsible for training managers on progressive discipline methods and documentation
to ensure consistent, fair and equitable application of performance standards and
practices. Provides guidance and support on separations and offboarding, as
- Employee Relations – Provides support and coaching to managers and staff on employee
relations issues including investigating reports, resolving conflicts, holding staff
accountable through progressive discipline, and addressing root causes to prevent
- Labor Relations – Provides support to managers and staff on labor relations issues
including resolving conflicts, grievances, mediation, arbitration, and appeals and
makes every effort to effectively resolve matters at the lowest level possible.
Represents the Agency in term and mid-term labor negotiations and other labor
relations issues, as requested.
- Employee Engagement – Provides support for staff surveys, events, awards, and
- Policy Development – Researches, develops and drafts proposed policies or changes to
current policies affecting HR programs.
- Workforce Planning – Participates in workforce management planning and organization
design analysis; conducts data analysis to identify long and short-term workforce
- HR Administration – Responsible for timely processing of personnel action notices,
updating relevant HR technology tools, developing processes and documentation for HR
workflows, documenting HR matters, decisions and justifications, maintaining staff and
HR records, and training colleagues, as needed. Stays abreast of relevant employment
and labor policies and laws, HR trends and workforce strategies. Identifies
trends and patterns and utilizes data to improve policies, systems and tools. Partner
with other functions within HR to provide support to staff and improve processes and
- Customer Service - Provides effective, timely and thorough customer service and
continuously seeks to improve the quality of service by implementing best practices
identified by data analysis and customer feedback.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 5-8 years of progressively responsible experience in a variety of human resources
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
- Experience with labor union negotiations, relationship management, grievances,
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills - ability to define problems, identify
relationships, evaluate and assess impacts, and arrive at conclusions when analyzing
complex or highly sensitive topics
- Ability to articulate, interpret, and clearly explain orally and in writing complex
issues and findings using research and data analysis
- Ability to rapidly and thoroughly research novel problems and issues where there are
conflicting requirements, guidelines are scarce or of limited use, and case law is
- Effective collaboration, written and oral communication, project management, and
- Ability to effectively manage and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and projects
in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated experience researching, developing, implementing and continuously
improving HR policies, protocols and/or systems
- Track record of utilizing technology and/or increasing your own technology skills to
make work more efficient, user-friendly and easier to run and maintain
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Teams
- Demonstrated emotional intelligence and cultural humility; interest and ability to
connect with and engage a diversity of people by showing empathy and sensitivity to
their individual perspectives and needs
- Exceptional judgment and discretion; ability to keep sensitive information
- Demonstrated ability to balance the needs of the business, manager and staff while
managing risk for the organization
- Optimistic and positive attitude with a demonstrated deep commitment to exceptional
- SHRM Certification or equivalent
- Federal experience in HR specialties, for example classification, staffing,
benefits, and employee/labor relations
- A sense of humor
- A love for national parks, especially the Presidio!
About the Presidio Employee Support Services Team
The Employee Support Services (ESS) team is responsible
for creating and supporting an diverse, inclusive, accessible, world class experience for
the Trust's staff. We are collaborative, supportive, results oriented, and we have
fun working together.
The Presidio Trust has identified this position as
subject to a standard employment background investigation which shall consist of a review
of applicable county, state and Federal criminal and civil records, state bankruptcy
indexes, driver's license, and a credit report. An individual's granting of a background
investigation and resulting report is voluntary, however, employment is contingent upon
the successful completion of the investigation. The Trust may refuse to hire an
individual, rescind an offer of employment, or review and terminate the employment of a
current employee who does not successfully complete a background investigation.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
All Presidio Trust employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an
approved medical or religious exemption. Employment is contingent upon submitting
a COVID-19 Certification of Vaccination or qualifying for an exemption when hired.