The Presidio Trust is seeking up to two Gardener Supervisors to plan, organize, administer, and supervise grounds teams within the Landscape Stewardship Department. Once an Army base, the Presidio is now a new kind of National Park. It has been designated a National Historic Landmark District, in part because of its beautiful historic landscapes. In addition to lawns and ornamental plantings, the managed landscapes include 3 ball fields, 10 playgrounds, 1 pet cemetery, the only campground in San Francisco, and the beloved Main Parade Ground. Presidio Trust Grounds Crews care for, clean, and maintain the grounds; and are instrumental in ensuring that our dedicated volunteers are prepared to help perform basic grounds maintenance.
Our ideal candidates are strong and fair leaders, eager to preserve the Presidio's landscape, work more seamlessly across landscapes types, and more effectively implement green practices in the Presidio's natural areas and historic landscapes. You motivate your team in the same, and are reliable, responsible, and forward-thinking towards ensuring the Presidio continues to be a model of ecological restoration and sustainable stewardship.
Applications received by February 11th, 2019 will receive first consideration. We are planning to hold interviews beginning the week of February 18th, make job offers by the end of February, and set work start dates in March 2019.
- Supervise, direct, assign and evaluate the daily, weekly, monthly and annual work of assigned staff and volunteers. Train employee/volunteers in work procedures, standards and safety practices. Interview and recommend selection of job applicants. Appraise employee performance, conduct informal counseling on work issues, prepare documentation and improvement plans for deficiencies, and recommend performance recognition and disciplinary action.
- Communicate matters involving personnel in a current and timely manner with the Director of Landscape Stewardship, and perform other work assigned by the Director.
- Provide professional leadership including effective deployment of the staff, effective forecasting, planning and analysis, project management, scheduling, budget development and control, analytical and accountability analysis, equipment and/or fleet replacement planning.
- Maintain the master plans and prints of the Presidio Trust pertaining to landscape, roadways, pathways, parking lots, and other grounds areas.
- Prepare and administer allocated budgets for area of responsibility, prepare recommendations and justifications regarding budget requests, and authorize expenditures according to Presidio Trust policies and applicable regulations.
- Develop and monitor ongoing Preventative and Deferred Maintenance programs.
- Assure compliance with established safety regulations and precautions by all grounds staff, and provide effective orientation and continuing training to minimize accidents and injuries in compliance with the Presidio Trust Injury and Illness Prevention Program.
- Develop policies and procedures to insure a safe, efficient and cost effective operation.
- Service the needs of the Presidio Trust through an effective work order system, to include response and coordination of maintenance requests and needs.
- Create and implement environmentally sustainable policies and procedures for all Grounds staff.
- Journey-level skills and experience in gardening or landscape/grounds work.
- Knowledge of principles and technical practices of grounds keeping, landscape maintenance, irrigation, fertilization and pest control, and tree trimming.
- Knowledge of methods, materials, tools and equipment used in maintenance, and grounds keeping.
- Knowledge of safe working practices for maintenance, custodial and grounds keeping work.
- Knowledge of basic principles and practices of planning, organizing, assigning, supervising, inspecting and reviewing the gardening/landscaping work of others.
- Ability to select, train, instruct, appraise, counsel and motivate assigned staff.
- Ability to identify and describe needs for personnel, supplies, and other required resources.
- Ability to evaluate and develop procedures, standards and methods for maintenance and improvement of grounds.
- Ability to read, interpret and assist in the preparation of plans, specifications and other bid documents for minor construction projects.
- Skill in effective oral communications, and in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
- Ability to exercise sound, independent judgment within general policy guidelines.
- Ability to interpret instructions, specifications and blueprints, communicate orally and in writing, and prepare routine reports and correspondence including required regulatory reports and records.
- Ability to use a computer to communicate and enter/receive data, and calculate figures and amounts.
- Must maintain a valid California driver's license and a satisfactory driving record.
- Must possess and maintain a State of California Department of Pesticide Regulation Qualified Applicator Certificate (Category B) within six months of employment.
- Required to perform all common physical activities associated with grounds supervision, such as walking on flat or uneven grounds, climbing up and down stairs, examining work, occasionally performing minor grounds tasks, and sitting at a desk.
- Occasionally exposed to moving or mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, and outside weather conditions. Noise levels range from very quiet to loud.
- Required to occasionally attend meetings in the community, with the governing board and other officials to include occasional nights and weekend assignments.
- Subject to evening and weekend work, and variable schedules as needed.
- Passion for working for a park, particularly the Presidio Trust.
- Optimistic, flexible, and positive attitude with a demonstrated deep commitment to the highest level of customer service.
About Gardening at the Presidio
The Presidio is rich in formal, ceremonial landscapes and historic neighborhood landscapes. Historic gates and tree-lined boulevards create a deep sense of place. The Main Parade Ground strengthens the dramatic setting of the Main Post and establishes it as the heart of the park. The Presidio's historic neighborhood landscapes represent a century in the evolution of military social and domestic life, from the small-scale Civil War-era Funston Avenue with its quaint Victorians and grander Queen Anne's to the enlisted men's housing above Baker Beach that was built in the 1950s and '70s. Rare ornamental plantings have been saved and historic gardens have been recreated with a contemporary sensibility, often with drought-tolerant native plants.
Driver's License Investigation & Review
This position requires a current, valid Driver's License prior to starting work, and maintenance of a driver's license throughout occupancy of the position. You will be subject to a driver's license investigation as a New Entrant, and annual driver's license reviews thereafter. An individual's granting of an investigation and resulting reports thereafter is voluntary, however, employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a driver's license investigation. The Trust may refuse to hire an individual, rescind an offer of employment, or review and terminate the employment of a current employee who does not successfully complete the driver's license investigation.
The Presidio Trust is an equal opportunity employer, offering a competitive benefits package. To apply call (415) 561-5300 (Monday-Friday, 8 am – 5 pm) to request an application package, OR download the application from our website, www.presidio.gov, and mail the application to Employee Support Services, Presidio Trust, P.O. Box 29052, San Francisco, CA 94129-0052.