The Presidio Trust is seeking a Director of Building Stewardship responsible for overseeing our most challenging, complex assets: Net Income generating buildings that ensure the Presidio will be a self-sustaining national park site and historic preservation district - for all to enjoy… forever. Once an Army Base, the Presidio of San Francisco is now a new kind of national park. The 1,500-acre Presidio is richly layered in history, is a natural oasis for wildlife, plants, and people, and offers iconic views known around the world. In its third decade as a park, public awareness and enjoyment of this exceptional place continues grow.
If the simple idea of challenging work, doing some good in the world, and having a little fun along the way sounds appealing, this may be the perfect job for you. Reporting directly to the Chief Business Officer, you will provide the technical know-how behind our portfolio of residential, commercial, hospitality, utility and public buildings - 737 buildings in all, across 1,400 acres of the Presidio. You'll be the leader providing guidance and training to the maintenance team. From HVAC to plumbing to a fresh coat of paint, you'll have a hand in every building and help deliver on every resident, tenant, and guest's satisfaction.
Your superior organizational skills and attention to detail will be utilized to attend to all customer needs, manage service requests, and oversee residential and commercial turnovers to ensure the work is performed timely – all while leading by example by modeling the Presidio's operational excellence standards and managing the budget. Your strong technical skills will be utilized to help identify and diagnose problems and guide your teams in performance of their maintenance, preventive, and renewal work.
At the Presidio, managing is more than sitting behind a desk directing others. We believe in leading by example and walking in the shoes of the people you manage. This position directly supervises two (2) employees but responsible for a team of approximately 50. Each day, you will spend your days out and about with your team, confirming scheduled maintenance is completed, ensuring the quality-of-service requests, managing vendors, and communicating and building rapport with residents, tenants, and Trust contract operators.
This is a full-time role with benefits. Accepting Applications thru November 25, 2022.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- In close collaboration with the Chief Business Officer, develop and oversee the strategic direction and goal setting for building maintenance programs to maintain proper operations for the Agency's portfolio of residential, commercial, hospitality, utility and public buildings.
- Develop Building Maintenance department strategic and annual plans, define priorities, and roles and responsibilities. Define and regularly report on KPIs and operating metrics and develop, track, and manage department and capital budgets as well as maintenance schedules.
- Develop, implement and revise policies and procedures to improve building maintenance operations, minimize operating costs, and optimize the utilization of labor and materials. For example, prioritization, scheduling, service deliveries timelines, and response to customer feedback.
- Responsible for oversight of all building maintenance functions including work orders, abatement, integrated pest management, residential and non-residential turns for all occupied and vacant facilities. Review requests for maintenance and capital upgrades, define (labor, materials, contracts) Oracle project to complete request.
- Ensure all managed property is in compliance with appropriate laws, codes, and regulations regarding construction, building safety, safe work practices, and access.
- Develop and implement a quality assurance program to track the quality of service, respond to inspection deficiencies, and procedure for service improvements
- Lead, train and motivate a high-performing team. Communicate expectations, ensure departmental division goals, deadlines and property objectives are being met. Translate Agency's mission, goals, objectives, and initiatives into actionable tasks to engage staff in participating in the overall success of the organization.
- As a member of the Leadership Team, participate in developing and implementing departments' overarching strategic mission, goals and objectives.
- Develop, implement, and manage a scheduled maintenance program. This includes monitoring the maintenance and up-keep of all mechanical equipment in the park such as water heaters, HVAC units, elevator systems and boiler systems.
- Develop, implement and manage a maintenance supply inventory controls system.
- Coach and mentor direct reports and team members by providing support on technical issues, feedback for improvement, and guidance in defining career paths and professional development plans.
- Develop and implement asset preservation and deferred maintenance programs.
- Manage the selection, management, and compliance of contractors selected to perform cyclic repairs, major projects, residential and commercial non-standard and capital turns. Sets standards of workmanship of projects completed for issuance of vendor payments.
- Serves as customer liaison by dealing directly with Real Estate Asset Management & Leasing, John Steward Company, River Rock, and tenants. Addresses and resolves emotionally charged complaints with tenants
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Architecture, Business or equivalent level of experience in the real estate industry at the institutional level.
- 10+ Years Progressively responsible experience in office buildings and multi-unit residential building maintenance or related field. Minimum of five years supervisory experience.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word Outlook and Office 365 as a whole.
- Strong knowledge in the areas of OSHA standards, safety, facilities maintenance, capital improvements and maintenance related purchasing.
- Strong knowledge of plumbing, electrical, mechanical, HVAC, carpentry, fire protection, structural, roofing, concrete, paving, painting, landscaping, and appliance repair work.
- Ability to read and interpret Architectural, Structural, Mechanical, Electrical, Civil and Landscape drawings as well as the ability to read and interpret Geotechnical, Environmental and other consultant reports that are necessary for making repairs.
- Working knowledge of abatement and encapsulation process for hazardous materials.
- Ability to develop, comprehend and manage capital budgets.
- Strong leadership and management skills; ability to direct a team and supervise vendors.
About the Presidio Trust Business Division
- Experience using Yardi or other related property management accounting software.
- Experience with core property management software - able to create reports and analyze property performance metrics related to work order completion, turnover, and preventive maintenance.
- Excellent financial and analytical acumen with a thorough understanding of financial statements and reporting.
The Business Division's mission is to develop and manage Presidio revenue sources and use these resources to maintain this National Historic Landmark District for the delight of our visitors for generations to come. We focus on rehabilitating and leasing historic buildings in the park, bringing them back to life as homes and contemporary workspaces, while maintaining excellent relations with tenants who love being here. We're home to two award-winning historic hotels; two full-service restaurants; a catering service; and five iconic structures that are available for high-quality hospitality experiences. We're proud of our role in making the Presidio successful and sharing this beautiful place with the public.Background Investigation
The Presidio Trust has identified this position as subject to a standard employment background investigation which shall consist of a review of applicable county, state and Federal criminal and civil records, state bankruptcy indexes, driver's license, and a credit report. An individual's granting of a background investigation and resulting report is voluntary, however, employment is contingent upon the successful completion of the investigation. The Trust may refuse to hire an individual, rescind an offer of employment, or review and terminate the employment of a current employee who does not successfully complete a background investigation.Financial Disclosure
This position will require the completion of the U.S. Office of Government Ethics (OGE) Form 278, Public Financial Disclosure Report
, both as a New Entrant into the position and annually thereafter. The purpose of the financial disclosure system is to assist employees and their agencies in avoiding conflicts between official duties and private financial interests or affiliations.COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
All Presidio Trust employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an approved medical or religious exemption. Employment is contingent upon submitting a COVID-19 Certification of Vaccination or qualifying for an exemption when hired.