The Presidio Trust, an innovative federal agency created to save the Presidio, is seeking a Director of Hospitality to oversee the management and direction of the Trust's hospitality-related programs, including two award-winning historic hotels, The Inn, and The Lodge; two full-service restaurants, The Commissary, and Arguello; a catering service, Presidio Foods; venue rentals of five iconic structures, including The Officers' Club, The Golden Gate Club, The Log Cabin, Chapel of Our Lady, Presidio Chapel; and the Presidio Golf Course. The Presidio welcomes over 7.5 million visitors to the park annually, and The Hospitality Team is honored to welcome over 500,000 guests to these unique amenities.
Once an Army base, the Presidio is a unique national park located in San Francisco at the edge of the Golden Gate. With 1500 acres rich with history, nature, and open space, the Presidio contains hundreds of restored former military buildings animated by more than 3,000 residents and 200 companies, including high tech start-ups, innovative non-profits, and other organizations that offer a welcoming mix of visitor experiences. The park also offers a mosaic of wildlife communities, including the newly re-introduced native Pacific chorus frog, Forktail damselflies, California Floater mussels, Western Pond turtle, stickleback, over 30 butterfly species, 60 bee species, and one of the most diverse communities of migratory birds in the world with over 200 different species spotted. The Presidio also contains 991 acres of open space with 330 native plant species and 14 native plant communities, historic gardens and forests, restored and remnant wetlands, sand dunes, grasslands, a freshwater lake, and a salt marsh. On any given day at the Presidio, you'll find organizations pursuing new ideas, scientists conducting research, and people of all ages volunteering, learning, playing, and exploring.
Our ideal candidate has a strong connection to the mission of the Presidio, and a propensity for balancing revenue generation with a commitment to preserve and enhance the Presidio's resources. You have a high level of integrity and a natural disposition to seek structured solutions. You are highly organized, flexible, and able to solve problems on the fly; always striving to improvise, adapt, and overcome challenges. You have exceptional interpersonal skills, a high level of emotional intelligence, and are a tenacious and fun leader. If you have these qualities, come help us lead a great team in celebrating one of our great National treasures, and preserving it for many generations to come!
Applications received by April 1, 2019 will receive first consideration. We are planning to hold the first round of interviews the week of April 15th, the second round of interviews the week of April 22nd, make a job offer in early May, and set a work start date the end of May 2019.
- Undertake competitive procurement to identify and hire excellent third party operators to manage various hospitality operations for the Trust at multiple locations around the park.
- In collaboration with the Trust's Public Affairs and Communications Department, develop and promote a Presidio Hospitality brand recognized for excellence. Bring together tenants to maximize the visitor experience and promote the highest standards in hospitality services. Coordinate with Real Estate Asset Management on relationships with tenants.
- Prepare an annual business plan and budget for Hospitality-related programs and meet targets set by Trust management for these programs, such as overnight stays, meals served, rounds of golf played, etc. Manage the Trust's budget for these activities in a manner consistent with Trust business rules.
- Work with Park staff in the development of hospitality services to make the Main Post a welcoming location with appropriate and adequate amenities when and where visitors need them.
- Develop hospitality-related plans and proposals for review by the Trust's Executive Management Team or Board of Directors.
- Serve as contract manager for food, lodging and golf course operations management. Identify and track key operating metrics, report variances and supervise contractors in execution of corrective actions on a monthly basis.
- Graduate degree in hospitality management, business, or a related field and ten years relevant professional experience, or similar combination of education and work experience in full service resort/conference facilities.
- Expert knowledge of hospitality management and experience in managing full service resort/venue facilities.
- Mastery of, and skill in applying, advanced project management principles, methods, practices and techniques in order to develop project plans and schedules, develop communication plans, estimate resource requirements, define milestones and deliverables, monitor activities, and evaluate and report on accomplishments to stakeholders; design, develop, and manage hospitality programs that meet current and future business requirements; and manage assigned projects.
- Knowledge of, and skill to prepare contract specifications, logistics plans, procurement plans, and quality assurance plans to ensure completion of projects and the delivery of products within schedule and budget and in compliance with laws, regulations and Presidio Trust policies.
- Knowledge of supervisory and management practices in order to perform the full range of supervisory duties that include: decisions on work problems and issues; serving as rating official, recommending selections, resolving complaints, recommending awards and changes in classification for subordinate employees; and, identify and implement ways to improve the operational efficiency of the branch.
- Knowledge of and skill in oral, written, and visual communication methods and techniques in order to provide information to senior management and staff, vendors, and the public, to work effectively with General Managers in hotels and restaurants, and establish a strong presence with staff and vendors and an absolute commitment to guest services.
- Valid Driver's License
About Presidio Trust Hospitality
- Experience in hotel and restaurant operations, meetings/banquets, food and beverage, and golf
- Passion for parks; strong desire to work for the Presidio Trust
The Presidio includes some of San Francisco's most iconic event spaces. The Officers' Club, one of San Francisco's first buildings, offers panoramic views across the main post lawn and San Francisco bay, a stunning ballroom, and an open air courtyard. The Log Cabin, built in 1937, sits near the Golden Gate Bridge; its warm and rustic interior is complemented by a large lawn with a panoramic view of the San Francisco skyline. Inspiration Point, an outdoor venue, hovers above the Tennessee Hollow watershed; a canopy of eucalyptus forest extends below it to the bay, where visitors can at once see the expanse of the Presidio forests, the Palace of Fine Arts, San Francisco Bay, Alcatraz, and Angel Island. Presidio Trust Events is honored to share these, and many other, sublime spaces to host special events.Background Investigation
The Presidio Trust has identified this position as subject to a standard employment background investigation which shall consist of a review of applicable county, state and Federal criminal and civil records, state bankruptcy indexes, driver's license, and a credit report. An individual's granting of a background investigation and resulting report is voluntary, however, employment is contingent upon the successful completion of the investigation. The Trust may refuse to hire an individual, rescind an offer of employment, or review and terminate the employment of a current employee who does not successfully complete a background investigation.Financial Disclosure
This position requires the completion of the U.S. Office of Government Ethics (OGE) Form 278, Public Financial Disclosure Report
, both as a New Entrant into the position and annually thereafter. The purpose of the financial disclosure system is to assist employees and their agencies in avoiding conflicts between official duties and private financial interests or affiliations.