The Presidio Trust is seeking a Community Events Specialist to join the Visitor Engagement Department's Community Partnership Team to execute community-led and community co-created events and activities of all sizes that welcome diverse visitors into the Presidio. The Specialist works collaboratively with community partners (organizations, leaders, businesses, and artists) and internally with various Presidio Trust teams to plan, coordinate, support and facilitate event production.
The Presidio of San Francisco, formerly a 1,491-acre Army post, is now a new kind of national park with a richly layered history; natural landscapes with wildlife and native plants; historic former military homes and buildings animated by 3,000 residents and 200 organizations; and some of the most iconic views of the San Francisco Bay. The park offers a welcoming mix of visitor experiences including, innovative public events, environmental art, a network of trails, unique recreation opportunities and self-guided adventures. The Visitor Engagement Department provides welcoming and meaningful opportunities for all to enjoy their national park. The Community Events Specialist plays an integral role in inviting and developing innovative and welcoming events for communities who have been historically underrepresented in national parks.
Our ideal candidate has experience working with BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) communities, accessibility, and/or low-income communities. The successful candidate will be an experienced community event planner that is skilled at collaborating, communicating, and building trust with diverse partners. They are passionate about the intersections of nature, culture, cultural productions, and social justice. Our ideal candidate is creative, collaborative, a problem-solver, skilled at creating the infrastructure for successful events, and an organized planner.
This is a full-time role with benefits and a minimum salary of $35.36 per hour for FY2023. This position is included in a bargaining unit, specifically The Laborer's International Union of North America, Local 792, United Public Employees of California. Applications received by January 13, 2023, will receive first consideration.
- Oversight of Annual Community Event Calendar – Oversee the implementation of a diverse range of in-person events and activities that are community-led or co-created with partners. Events and activities may include cultural festivals, art activations, performances or shows, and workshops with attendance ranging from 100 - 8,000 people. With the Community Partnerships Team, develop and launch a yearly plan to activate Presidio Tunnel Tops and the larger Presidio with culturally diverse and relevant community programming.
- Event Planning, Production & Delivery – Coordinate all aspects of event planning related to logistics, budget, outreach and program including maintenance of detailed events calendars, plans, timelines, and checklists; selection and management of vendors; development of budgets; compliance with relevant federal regulations and obtaining permits; close and regular coordination with the Trust's Visitor Services Operations Team. . Support community partners, inter-departmental, and inter-agency communication and coordination for upcoming events and activities.
- Community Engagement & Partnership – Lead or participate in collaborative meetings with various stakeholders to develop ideas, plan, and execute events. With the Community Partnerships Team and Marketing and Communications, develop and implement an outreach plan to prospective community partners and visitors. Maintain key relationships that support and enhance the Community Event calendar. Field community partner inquiries about mid- to large-scale public events, activations, and activities.
- Agency Ambassador. Serve as an ambassador for the Presidio and Presidio Trust in a variety of forums including community meetings, conferences, programs, and public meetings. At the direction of the Community Partnerships Manager, serves as an agency representative with various media channels (radio, television, print, etc.).
- Evaluation – Solicit and capture community feedback, attend cultural and community activations in public spaces to develop best practices around community event production and to improve the infrastructure, culture and experiences of park visitors. Systematically evaluate programs and activities in order guide future refinement and adaption, as well as support the case for ongoing investment of resources most effectively. Support the analysis and regular reporting of agency KPIs (key performance indicators).
- Processes – Develop and update systems or Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for community event planning at the Presidio. Maintains documents for each Trust-sponsored event to ensure consistency and transparency.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of (5) years of hands-on, experience in planning and producing events.
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders. Comfort with and ability to effectively engage with a wide range of individuals, representing different backgrounds, ethnicities, genders, sexualities, ages, economic status, and viewpoints.
- Ability to serve as an agent of the Trust ensuring protection of the park resources, compliance with relevant federal requirements and regulations, and by supporting community event planners/external groups in navigating these requirements.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Strong facilitation skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks under strict deadlines and remain calm under pressure. Attention to details and excellent organizational skills.
- Commitment to creating an inclusive team environment that honors diverse perspectives and experiences as well as creating a welcoming and inclusive park space and program experiences.
- Ability to evaluate qualitative and quantitative data (e.g., event visitation, participant feedback, event costs, etc.) and apply insights into ongoing adaptation and improvements.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends to support events.
- Relationships with relevant local agencies and institutions, community organizations, art/cultural or recreational program providers
- Passion for parks and public engagement with equity in mind
- Familiarity with the Presidio's ecology and history
- Experience designing innovative place-based and audience-specific experiences
- Training and/or education in cultural competency, Ethnic Studies, and/or DEI principles
- Multilingual skills (Spanish, Cantonese/Mandarin, and Tagalog preferred)
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
About the Visitor Engagement Team
The Visitor Engagement Team is dedicated to welcoming people of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities to enjoy their national park. They encourage and facilitate access through three key functions: Visitor Services (including permitted recreational events and activities), Community Partnerships (encouraging community access and support of an inclusive and relevant park), and Volunteer Programs (engaging volunteers in stewarding the park and welcoming visitors).
Driver's License Investigation & Review
This position requires a current, valid Driver's License prior to starting work, and maintenance of a driver's license throughout occupancy of the position. You will be subject to a driver's license investigation as a New Entrant, and annual driver's license reviews thereafter. An individual's granting of an investigation and resulting reports thereafter is voluntary, however, employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a driver's license investigation. The Trust may refuse to hire an individual, rescind an offer of employment, or review and terminate the employment of a current employee who does not successfully complete the driver's license investigation.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
All Presidio Trust employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an approved medical or religious exemption. Employment is contingent upon submitting a COVID-19 Certification of Vaccination or qualifying for an exemption when hired.