Monarch Week Pilot Program 2023
The Presidio Trust is excited to launch the Monarch Week Pilot Program for the 2023 camping season.
Monarch Week Pilot Program Mission, and Goals
The Monarch Week Pilot Program (“Monarch Week”) was created in support of the Presidio Trust’s goal of becoming a park that is “visited and loved by all”. Monarch Week’s mission is to provide underrepresented communities from the San Francisco Bay Area an opportunity to experience camping at Rob Hill. Eligible organizations accepted into the Monarch Week Pilot Program will be provided a prioritized reservation pathway to make reservations during the last full week of each month, subject to availability. Eligible organizations demonstrating that reservation fees present a barrier to bringing their groups to Rob Hill may also be considered for a reservation fee waiver.
Who Is Eligible to participate in the Monarch Week Pilot Program?
The following types of organizations are eligible to participate in Monarch Week:
- American Indian/Native American associations or organizations, and tribal governments (including non-federally recognized and federally recognized)
- Public schools that receive funds from
Title I, Part A (Title I) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, as amended by the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESEA).
- Non-Profit Organizations with 501(c)(3) status who meet at least one of the following criteria
- At least 75% of participants* are individuals with disabilities, who are defined as those with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, as described in the
Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended.
- At least 75% of participants* live in households with incomes equal to or less than 250% of the current federal poverty level, as determined by the
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- At least 75% of participants* identify as Black, Latino, and Indigenous and Native American persons, Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders or other persons of color
- At least 75% of participants* identify as LGBTQ+
- Organizations that do not meet at least one of the criteria listed above but who believe they are aligned with the mission and goals of Monarch Week may submit a request for consideration and will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
*Participants are defined as the individuals who are served by your organization and who will be camping at Rob Hill Campground as part of any Monarch Week Pilot Program reservations scheduled by your organization.
The following types of organizations are ineligible to participate in the Monarch Week Pilot Program:
- Individuals who are organizing a camping trip that is not officially sponsored by an eligible organization.
- For profit organizations or businesses.
- International organizations.
Reservations for the 2023 Monarch Week Pilot Program are available only during the following designated program dates:
- April 23 to April 30
- May 21 to May 28
- June 18 to June 25
- July 23 to July 30
- August 20 to August 27
- September 17 to September 24
- October 22 to October 29
- All other dates during the 2023 the camping season will be available to the general public for reservation via
Recreation.gov following the
policies set forth on Recreation.gov.
- Campsite requests for the Monarch Week Pilot Program will be processed on a first come, first served basis. The Presidio Trust cannot guarantee that an organization’s preferred camping dates will be available.
- Eligible organizations may request:
- Up to 4 consecutive nights of camping per reservation.
- Up to 4 campsites per reservation.
- Up to 2 reservations per camping season.
- Requests for additional camping reservations may be granted at the discretion of Presidio Trust staff if there is low demand from other eligible organizations and availability permits.
- Eligible organizations must notify the Presidio Trust of cancellations or request that a reservation be rescheduled by emailing
- Whenever possible, eligible organizations should cancel reservations or submit a request to reschedule at least 2 weeks in advance. This will provide Presidio Trust staff enough notice to make the campsites available for general public reservation on Recreation.gov.
- Eligible organizations that provide no notice of cancellation and fail to arrive on their scheduled check-in date (“no show”) may be ineligible for future reservations through the Monarch Week Program.
- Eligible organizations may only reschedule a reservation to another designated program date within the same camping season as the original reservation. Rescheduled reservations are subject to availability.
- Monarch Week reservations will be held to the
Terms and Conditions for Use of the Rob Hill Campground.
- The booking rules and designated program dates may be evaluated annually to determine how well the Monarch Week Pilot Program is meeting the needs of eligible organizations. Adjustments to the booking rules and designated program dates may be made in response to these evaluations when feasible.
Standard reservation fees for the 2023 camping season at Rob Hill are $92.00 per site, per night on Sunday - Thursday nights, $140.00 per site, per night on Friday and Saturday nights, and $75.00 per site per night for veterans and active-duty military personnel.
- Monarch Week participants will be responsible for paying standard reservation fees unless the organization indicates financial need when they submit their eligibility application. Reservation fees may be waived for those eligible organizations.
- Eligible organizations who cancel their reservations at least 2 weeks in advance of their scheduled check-in date will receive a full refund of their reservation fees minus a $25.00 cancellation fee.
- No refunds will be granted for no shows.
- Eligible organizations may request to reschedule their reservation instead of cancelling. No cancellation fee will be assessed for rescheduled reservations.
- All fees may be adjusted annually at the Trust’s sole discretion.
How To Apply
Applications for the 2023 pilot program will be accepted starting on Wednesday March 8, 2023 at 9:00 am PST. Applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis.
Organizations interested in participating in the Monarch Week Pilot Program must complete the
Rob Hill Monarch Week Pilot Program 2023 Organization Eligibility Application.
eligibility application per organization needs to be submitted. As part of the application, you will be asked to provide the names and contact information for any other members of your organization who are authorized to request camping reservations and lead camping trips on behalf of your organization (“trip leaders”). These
trip leaders must have the authority to sign the
Terms and Conditions for the Use of Rob Hill Campground on behalf of your organization.
If you need assistance completing
the eligibility application, please contact us at
firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 561-5083.
What to expect once you have submitted your application.
Presidio Trust staff will review your application and determine, based on the information provided, if your organization is eligible to participate. Presidio Trust staff may, but is not required to, request additional information or documentation if the information provided in the application is not sufficient to determine eligibility. You will be notified of the outcome of your application via email.
If your organization is determined to be eligible to participate in the Monarch Week Pilot Program, Presidio Trust staff will send instructions to you and any other
trip leaders designated in your application via email to submit your campsite request, pay your reservation fees (if applicable), and receive your camping permit. Campsite requests will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis and are subject to availability.
Questions regarding the Monarch Week Pilot Program should be directed to
email@example.com or (415) 561-5083.