Fort Winfield Scott is a place of scenic beauty with a strong sense of history. Set in a historic forest of cypress and eucalyptus trees in the western Presidio, Fort Scott has commanding views of the Pacific Ocean and the Golden Gate Bridge.
Fort Winfield Scott's History
Fort Winfield Scott, named for the most prominent U.S. Army officer of the 19th century, was initially established as an independent post for the Coast Artillery Corps. The campus was largely constructed between 1909 and 1912.
While located within the Presidio Army post, Fort Scott functioned separately with its own commander until after World War II. Over the course of half a century, it served as headquarters for the defense of the Bay Area's coastline, from the era of breech loaded, rifled guns to Nike missiles.
Fort Scott features the earliest example of the Mission Revival architectural style at the Presidio. This style ultimately set the precedent for white buildings with red roofs that is now typical of most Presidio buildings.
At the core of the 30-acre campus are 10 Mission Revival-style barracks organized around a historic parade ground, which is now an expansive green landscape hosting an array of native plants and animals, including herons and hawks. These barracks were designed to house Coast Artillery Corps enlisted soldiers. The attic of one barrack (Building 1216) features oil and charcoal murals painted in 1956-57 by U.S. Army soldiers that depict vivid military and domestic scenes, offering a compelling record of life in the Army.
In addition to the magnificent barracks, there are 12 adjacent buildings of varying architectural styles, including a former officers' club, a jail, a gymnasium, and a guardhouse.