The Presidio Trust is seeking a Senior Project Manager to oversee all aspects of design thru construction and closeout of the buildings on the Tunnel Tops project. The Presidio is a new kind of national park in the heart of a bustling urban area. Spanning 1,500 acres in a spectacular setting at the Golden Gate, the Presidio is home to the spectacular vistas, nature, history, and programs that visitors would expect in a national park as well as a community of residents and organizations who bring renewed vitality and purpose to this former military post. Since 1994, major improvements have made the park a welcoming place for millions. The biggest improvement is yet to come – the Tunnel Tops Project.
Our ideal candidate is a results-oriented, seasoned professional who contributes to the success of the team and the project. You are confident in your ability to respond appropriately and timely to design, management and field situations, and you communicate well with a variety of stakeholders. You are self-motivated and work independently and collaboratively on a variety of issues, details and systems relevant to the overall project. Patience, humor and stamina are key.
Applications received by December 2, 2016 will receive first consideration. This is a full-time TERM position with benefits. A Term position fills a temporary project need, and will normally last one to five years in length. We are planning to hold the first round of interviews beginning the week of December 5, make a job offer by mid-December, and set a work start date in early January, 2017.
- Manage the design from 50% Design Development through Construction Documents, and Construction.
- Manage multiple concurrent Trust landscape, streetscape, visitor facilities, and philanthropically-funded construction and rehabilitation projects using both in-house and outside landscape architecture, architecture, and engineering design professionals, and other professional consultants. Provide project leadership to all in-house and outside consultants during all phases of projects.
- Work with Senior Project Manager (Tunnel Tops) and other staff to develop overall project pro-forma, including project scope, program, budget, and schedule. Coordinate project feasibility analysis and site investigative studies.
- Manage and direct architecture and engineering design professionals during all phases of projects to ensure completed project achieves Trust goals and project's pro-forma.
- Work with Trust contracting staff to develop consultant agreements including establishing scope of work, required deliverables and schedule of performance. Prepare government estimates for and solicit and review proposals from prospective consultants. Monitor and manage consultant agreements. Approve invoices for payment, and negotiate modifications to agreements.
- Develop and manage project budgets and schedules.
- Monitor construction progress on a regular basis in coordination with Trust Construction Manager for compliance of the work with the requirements of the Trust and contract. Prepare regular reports describing work observed, identify deficiencies and recommend remedial actions. Coordinate field reports and inspection and testing performed by others.
- Certify Substantial Completion of projects. Oversee project closeout activities such as coordinating system commissioning and staff trainings; obtaining releases, warranties and other close-out submittals, preparing as-built record drawings, and managing occupancy permitting.
- Bachelor's degree in architecture, construction management, professional and construction engineering AND 10 years of related experience with construction projects involving landscape, streetscape, or architecture construction or renovation projects greater than $5,000,000 in public or private sector.
- Experience in preparation/review of preliminary and detailed construction documents, schedules, budgets, and cost estimates
- Solid computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office: Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel and project management software (such as New Forma) including MS Project.
- Experience with project development and project management, and cost accounting processes.
- Ability to work effectively with design and engineering professionals, cost estimators, contractors, field superintendents and other construction personnel.
- Excellent communication, organizational, and planning skills.
- Proficient in reading/writing English, exceptional interpersonal skills, a strong work ethic, and customer service oriented.
- Valid Professional Registration issued by the State of California to practice architecture, civil engineering or landscape architecture.
- LEED accredited professional.
- Experience with federal capital projects; campus, educational and public spaces/buildings; and historical restoration and preservation.
- Familiarity with mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems.
- On site construction field experience.
- Experience with cloud based software systems.
About the Tunnel Tops Project
A portion of the elevated highway that cut through the Presidio for seven decades on its path to the Golden Gate Bridge has been replaced with an at-grade roadway hidden from public view by discrete tunnels. This creates a singular opportunity to establish a magnificent 14-acre landscape that integrates the San Francisco Bay waterfront with the Presidio's historic core. Once completed, park visitors will enjoy an unparalleled experience of the Golden Gate. Open to all, the Tunnel Tops will welcome visitors with spectacular views, food and amenities, free public events, pathways and vista points, and gathering spaces where people can create their own experiences. The Tunnel Tops project includes three interconnected sites: a dramatic designed landscape to be created above the roadway tunnels, a revitalized Crissy Field Center Youth Campus with a "Learning Landscape," and a gracious new plaza for the Presidio Visitor Center. With the Imagine and Design phases nearing completion, we are eagerly approaching the Building phase and look forward to celebrating the Tunnel Tops in 2018.
This position requires the completion of the U.S. Office of Government Ethics (OGE) Form 450, Confidential Financial Disclosure Report, both as a New Entrant into the position and annually thereafter. The purpose of the financial disclosure system is to assist employees and their agencies in avoiding conflicts between official duties and private financial interests or affiliations.