The Presidio is seeking a skilled Maintenance Worker to join our Building Maintenance team. The Presidio of San Francisco, the 1,491-acre former Army base at the foot of the Golden Gate bridge, is now a new kind of national park. The park includes 477 individually significant historic buildings, about 6 million square feet of office space, and more than 180 historic objects. To date, 325 historic buildings have been fully or partially rehabilitated and 444 historic residential units have been rehabilitated and are now occupied. Now, these beautiful, historic buildings are revived with new life and new uses for our public visitors, tenants and employees. The Division of Building Maintenance keeps these spaces both beautiful and functional for their modern uses. Maintenance Workers are the key players in the Division of Building Maintenance team, performing the upkeep and maintenance that maintains the Presidio as a beautiful place to live and work.
Our ideal candidate is self-motivated, fastidious, and a jack of all trades, able to assist in a variety of construction and building maintenance activities such as carpentry, appliance repair and moving, plumbing, masonry, and painting. You ensure tasks are completed in a timely manner; and you demonstrate strong technical skills, work ethic, and interpersonal communication. You are proud to provide a comfortable and safe environment for tenants, staff, and visitors.
This is a full-time position with benefits, and a minimum salary of $26.82 per hour.
- Measure distances from grade stakes, drive stakes, and stretch tight line.
- Perform carpentry duties as assigned, including repairing, patching, applying plaster, taping and mudding drywall, and building framing as needed.
- Bolt, nail, align, and block up under forms.
- Level earth to fine grade specifications.
- Mix concrete.
- Smooth and finish freshly poured cement or concrete.
- Position, join, align, and seal pipe sections.
- Lift and move appliances in a safe manner.
- Erect scaffolding, shoring, and braces.
- Mop, brush, or spread paint or bituminous compounds over surfaces for protection.
- Spray materials such as water, sand, steam, vinyl, paint, or stucco through hose to clean, coat or seal surfaces.
- Apply caulking compound by hand or with caulking gun to seal crevices.
- Grind, sand, or polish surfaces such as concrete, marble, terrazzo, or wood flooring.
- Demolish buildings, saw lumber, dismantle forms, remove projections from concrete, mount pipe hangers, and cut and attach insulating material.
- High school diploma or G.E.D. AND six months of related maintenance experience.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos; and write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid state driver's license.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, use hands and arms to reach, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl. Required to regularly lift and move up to 25 pounds, and frequently lift and move up to 50 pounds.
- Frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions. Occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and toxic or caustic chemicals. Exposed to risk of electrical shock and loud noise levels in the work environment.
- Experience working in historic buildings.
- Passion for parks; strong desire to work for the Presidio.
- Experience interacting with tenants, with a demonstrated deep commitment to the highest level of customer service.
About the Presidio Trust Building Maintenance Department
Approximately 3,000 people reside in apartments, townhomes, single-family homes or duplexes in one of the 21 distinct Presidio neighborhoods, which are located near forest groves, trails, waterfront paths, a golf course and a beach. More than 3.5 million square feet of non-residential space is located throughout the park. Two-thirds of the buildings are historic, representing a variety of architectural styles, from the Spanish era through World War II. The Presidio is an extraordinary place to work for the thousands of employees of approximately 100 businesses who lease commercial space. The Presidio Trust Building Maintenance Department ensures that these beautiful, historic buildings are suitable, beautiful and ready every day for their modern uses by tenants, residents, employees, and visitors.