This historic (circa 1932)
Georgian Revival-style former dormitory was built to house 60 nurses working in
the adjacent hospital which treated ailing mariners from around the world. The
building has undergone a complete historic rehabilitation using green
techniques. About 80 percent of the historic building fabric was reused –
walls, windows, doors, bathroom fixtures, and even the hardware inside the door
handles. The U.S. Green Building Council has awarded the building a LEED Gold
certification, making it the first registered historic building in San
Francisco to be gold certified in the LEED-CS category. Building 1808 is now
home to a variety of commercial tenants.
Available for May 2014
occupancy, Suite B50 is a basement or “garden level” space which comprises
~2,896 rentable square feet. Tenant improvements will include a conference room
with kitchenette and a finished concrete floor. The suite has lots of natural
light and its own private entrance. Building tenants have access to bicycle storage,
a shower and paid storage lockers.
Metered parking is available
near the building. 1808 Wedemeyer Street is a stop on the PresidiGo Around the
Park Shuttle which connects to the Downtown PresidiGo shuttle route. Muni bus
lines are within walking distance. The building is conveniently located near
Highway 1 with easy access to the Golden Gate Bridge.
The Public Health Service
District is located in the southern Presidio near the 14th and 15th Avenue
Gates and the Lake/California/Clement Street corridor. Its history dates from
the 1870s when a marine hospital was built here to serve international seaman.
In 1932 the original wood-frame buildings were replaced by a gracious 36-acre
campus that included a main hospital, physicians’ homes, nurses’ quarters and
Today, the district hosts a
lively mix of homes, workplaces, and cultural destinations with the park’s wild
southern hills as the backdrop. New trails connect it to the rest of the park.
The Public Health Service District is recognized as a “green neighborhood” by
the U.S. Green Building Council’s new Neighborhood Development program (LEED
ND). It may be the first LEED-ND neighborhood in the country that is also part
of a National Historic Landmark District.