The Marine Cemetery Vista overlooks a once-forgotten Merchant Marine cemetery where hundreds of sailors from 30 states and 43 countries were buried between 1881 and 1912. A memorial stone plaque at the vista pays tribute to these seamen from around the world who died at the nearby hospital, once the focal point of the Public Health Service District. Learn more about who is buried here.
Beyond the vista, restored dune habitat provides a home for native plants like the endangered San Francisco Lessingia. The sand used in the restoration was acquired from Golden Gate Park during the excavation for the de Young Museum parking structure.
Location: Along the Mountain Lake Trail near the Public Health Service District and PresidiGo Shuttle Stop #26 and #27a. Limited visitor parking is provided off of Battery Caulfield Road.