Can we rescue, restore and preserve the blue skies, clear waters and green forests that are man’s natural and supportive heritage and that are his hope for a future quality existence?
~from Man, Medicine and Ecology, 1970, by Dr. Edgar Wayburn
In 2006, a grove of Redwood trees overlooking the northern reach of Tennessee Hollow was dedicated in honor of Dr. Edgar and Peggy Elliot Wayburn, whose vision and dedication led the establishment of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Dr. Wayburn, just short of his 100th birthday, was in attendance to receive the thanks expressed by Representative Nancy Pelosi and a grateful community. Dr. Wayburn passed away in 2010 at the age of 103.
The Wayburn Redwood Grove is a beautiful place to celebrate the power that citizens have to improve their world. It overlooks Thompson Reach, where 77,000 tons of Army-era landfill was removed and a creek was brought above ground or “daylighted.” Since 2005, volunteers have planted more than 35,000 seedlings at this site, now a popular place to spot nesting birds.
The Wayburn Redwood Grove is located just off the Presidio Promenade and features benches where visitors can enjoy a moment of rest and contemplation.
About Dr. Edgar and Peggy Wayburn
Dr. Edgar Wayburn successfully advocated for the preservation of more parkland than any other American in history. Born in Macon, Georgia, in 1906 and a graduate of the University of Georgia and Harvard Medical School, Ed Wayburn chose California as his home in 1933. He worked as a physician in San Francisco and became an avid outdoorsman, skier, hiker, and mountaineer. He eventually served five terms as president of the Sierra Club.
Ed married writer Cornelia (“Peggy”) Elliott in 1947. They raised four children while both becoming active in park advocacy. Among their efforts were the expansion of Mt. Tamalpais State Park, the creation of Point Reyes National Seashore, Redwood National Park, the Golden Gate National Recreation Area (including the Presidio of San Francisco), and Denali National Park in Alaska. In 1980, working with environmental organizations and Congressman Phillip Burton, the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act preserved 104 million acres for 10 national parks, several national forests, and the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. This law doubled the size of the National Park System.