Painted in 1956 and 1957, Fort Winfield Scott’s murals show viewers the life and perspective of a soldier in the years following World War II.
The murals came from an effort to create a more colorful environment for troops in training at Fort Scott. Capt. Milton Saunders, who was head of a unit that produced Army maps, commissioned a group of three soldiers to paint several murals. The team, led by Chicago School of Fine Arts graduate Spc. 3 Perrin Gerber, breathed life into two rooms in Building 1216 with battle scenes alongside depictions of everyday Army activities such as cooking, shoe shining, and sports.
As part of ongoing preservation efforts of these important features, the murals are closed from public viewing. However, photos of the murals can be found in an online album (click the link below).