The Presidio of San Francisco, once an Army base, is now a new kind of National Park. It has been designated a National Historic Landmark District, in part because of its beautiful historic landscapes. Presidio Trust Gardeners and Landscape Workers maintain over 180 acres of property around residences, commercial buildings, and public common areas. In addition to lawns and ornamental plantings, the managed landscapes include 3 ball fields, 10 playgrounds, 1 pet cemetery, the only campground in San Francisco, and the beloved Main Parade Ground. Presidio Trust Landscape Workers help care for, clean and maintain the grounds. Our Gardeners and Landscape Workers are also instrumental in ensuring that our dedicated volunteers are prepared to help to perform basic grounds maintenance.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Minimum salary is $ 22.78.
- Maintain turf by mowing and edging large turf areas around residential and commercial units; lays sod and, under direction of a Gardener or Gardener Leader, seeds lawn areas.
- Assist with fertilizing, aeration, top dressing, and compost tea applications, using the amounts and kinds of fertilizer that are routinely used for turf, flowers, shrubs and trees, seeing that ground conditions are proper before application; rototill soil and incorporate soil amendments.
- Eradicate and control weeds through hand pulling and mechanical means.
- Maintain perennial and color accent beds in weed free condition; install landscape control fabrics and mulch beds with wood chips; assist with planting as directed by a Gardener or Gardener Leader; transplant flowers and shrubs.
- Prune obviously diseased or excess branches from trees to 25 feet in height; prune shrubs that have reached the proper stage for trimming and control other growth around housing and commercial units.
- Pick up litter; service Park's litter receptacles; service Park's public restrooms.
- Look for obvious plant diseases (molds, brown spot, rusts, blight, mildew), plant insects (leaf miners, scale, borers, slugs), and unusual or poor plant growth, and report these conditions to the Gardener or Gardener Leader.
- Participate in meetings and events related to the Trust volunteer program and, as directed, lead and direct small groups of Trust volunteers (15 or less) in such grounds maintenance tasks as weeding shrub beds, moving wheelbarrows of mulch and spreading mulch, clearing invasive weeds and loading same into trucks, cutting brush down, raking, and sweeping; train volunteers, direct their work, and reinforce rules governing participation and safety of volunteers.
- Excavate for plant installations, irrigation repairs, and soil relocation, as needed, using hand tools; re-grades soil as instructed.
- Use gas blower to clear walkways and streets.
- Install, repair, and remove park furnishings, playground fixtures, and fences.
- Assist with trail and patio repairs; clean drains and drainage culverts.
- Assist with minor repairs to irrigation system.
- Pick up litter and trash; service public restrooms; maintain maintenance shops and storage yards.
- Operate small utility vehicles or GSA vehicles.
- Provides traffic control assistance as needed.
- Two years of experience in landscape maintenance.
- Familiar with work practices, methods, and processes or hand tools and basic hand powered tools and equipment, including string trimmers, chain saws, gas powered blowers, hedge trimmers, push mowers, riding mowers, tractors, and rototillers.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of work safety.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Knowledge to mix gas and oil to fuel power equipment.
- Required to wear a Presidio Trust uniform and personal protective equipment.
- Must possess and maintain a valid California Class C Driver License.
- Good judgement.
- Experience interacting with the public.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Passion for working at the Presidio.
About Landscapes at the Presidio
The Presidio is rich in formal, ceremonial landscapes and historic neighborhood landscapes. Historic gates and tree-lined boulevards create a deep sense of place. The Main Parade Ground strengthens the dramatic setting of the Main Post and establishes it as the heart of the park. The Presidio's historic neighborhood landscapes represent a century in the evolution of military social and domestic life, from the small-scale Civil War-era Funston Avenue with its quaint Victorians and grander Queen Anne's to the enlisted men's housing above Baker Beach that was built in the 1950s and '70s. Rare ornamental plantings have been saved and historic gardens have been recreated with a contemporary sensibility, often with drought-tolerant native plants.
The Presidio Trust is an equal opportunity employer, offering a competitive benefits package. To apply call (415) 561-5300 (Monday-Friday, 8 am – 5 pm) to request an application package, OR download the application from our website, www.presidio.gov, and mail the application to Human Resources, Presidio Trust, P.O. Box 29052, San Francisco, CA 94129-0052.